Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Need WiFi driver for Aspire 4720Z WiFi driver XP Pro

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Nov-2009, 03:35 PM #1
Question Need WiFi driver for Aspire 4720Z WiFi driver XP Pro
Hi all,
I have 2 laptops, my wifes and mine. They came with Vista installed and neither of us like Vista. I reformatted the hd on mine and installed XP Pro on it and with the drivers I got from Intel and Acer it works just fine. Mine is an Aspire 5920 model. My wifes is an Aspire 4720Z model. I repeated the process on hers that I did on mine and installed the drivers for it. All worked well except for the WiFi driver. I have tried everything and have searched the net and cannot find the correct driver for it. I contacted Acer and after paying them 59.95 for 30 minutes of tech time, came away with absolutely nothing but a 60 dollar deficit in my bank account. They said that I was doing a downgrade and they do not support downgrades, and recommended I search the net, which I had already done. I have been searching again since yesterday afternoon and am now to the point of pulling out my hair, and I have a crew cut, so you know by that how frustrated I am getting. Can anyone please help me and let me know where I can find the drivers for this laptop. Thanks in advance for any help you may give me.
Bud AKA Graywolf
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,479 posts.

24-Nov-2009, 04:29 PM #2
Try visiting this Acer site ...

http://gd.panam.acer.com/home/

EDIT: You just need to figure out which of the three WiFi drivers you need, Atheros, Broadcom or Intel.
Computer Specs

24-Nov-2009, 07:59 PM #3
Hi Chuck and thanks for the reply. I have already gone to the Acer site and downloaded and installed the drivers they post for this application. They are these 3 -
Wireless LANAtherosWireless LAN Driver7.3.1.1094.7 MB2008/12/08Wireless LANBroadcomWireless LAN Driver4.102.28.43.0 MB2008/12/08Wireless LANIntelWireless LAN Driver11.5.0.1190.0 MB2009/07/22
I also went to Intel's site and downloaded their drivers for WI-Fi. The software for their program does open the Intel WIFI wireless connection box which shows the available wireless networks in the vicinity of the laptop. That leads me to believe the driver should also be an Intel WIFI driver, but that one which I also downloaded with the software install package, does not install the driver in the laptop. My laptop is a 5920 and I installed XP Pro on it and installed the drivers and software recommended by both Acer and Intel and had no problems with it, it fired right up. But the 4720z is giving me fits. I have searched the net and it all comes up with the same drivers and software I have already installed. I have tried the Atheros site to see if it would help but it doesnt give me anything to go on. I am at a complete loss. Also, I don't really know which wireless card is installed in the computer and Acer did nothing to help me along those lines. The basis of what they said was, "We don't support downgrades" Go fish!!!! Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it...
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

25-Nov-2009, 08:37 AM #4
Does the Windows Hardware Device Manager give any clue about which wireless hardware is installed on the computer? I would assume that it would also show a missing drivers error message for the wireless controller.
Computer Specs

25-Nov-2009, 12:24 PM #5
No Chuck, the Driver Manager doesnt show anything as the driver is missing and no icon shows up on the list, just the Ethernet connection and shows no error message at all. The only error message as to a missing controller I get is on the Intel popup for wireless connection, and it shows no wireless connections available and a message that there is no driver installed. Since no driver is installed it cannot see the wireless connection that is available so therefore it gives a "No connection available" message. Thanks again for helping....Ralph
Computer Specs

25-Nov-2009, 01:15 PM #6
Not sure why it would not show up in Windows Device Manager. Are there any options in the BIOS to enable or disable the WiFi? I'm out of trouble shooting ideas beyond that.
Computer Specs

26-Nov-2009, 01:32 PM #7
Thanks for your help Chuck. It won't show up in the DM until the driver is installed, at least that is the way it worked on my laptop when I did the same to it. It is also an Acer, Aspire 5920. I had no problems installing XP on it and getting everything to work, but the Aspire 4720Z of my wife, is sure getting to be a royal pain. I have already checked the Bios and there is nothing there mentioning the WiFi, but will check it again.I just went back to Acer site and made sure I had XP checked and downloaded the files again. I think I will start over and re-install XP and go from there to see what will happen. I have surfed for 2 days and most of what is out there is advertisements for Driver Dectective and Driver Robot. I am also going to try to install just Broadcom driver and see what happens, instead of installing the 3 that come with the other drivers. Will keep you up to speed and thank you once again for all your help. If you come up with any other ideas, I am all ears.....Thanks and have a great Thanksgiving day.....Bud
Computer Specs

26-Nov-2009, 11:33 PM #8
Thanks for the help Chuck. I finally gave up and got a USB wireless adaptor for our Netgear router. Got home with it and in less than 5 minutes had the wifes computer online. I think that I will look to some other brand next time I need new equipment if this is the kind of help Acer gives to its customers. I have a whole houseful of their things, but after this, will give second thoughts to buying from them in the future. Anyway, I appreciate your help and hope you and yours had a great Thanksgiving day. Bud
Computer Specs

26-Nov-2009, 11:38 PM #9
Hi Bud,

Sorry I could not help you get the internal WiFi working but glad to hear you found a work around.

Hope you and yours had a great Thanksgiving day as well.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Dec-2009, 04:12 PM #10
Cool Acer Aspire 4720Z WLAN 802.11B/G Windows XP Driver WORKING FINALLY
Hey all,

Finally just got this thing working after about 8 hours or so of research. Didn't think it was gonna happen last night, was ready to go borrow Vista from a friend and load that instead. But I hate vista and kept reading and searching to try to figure out a way to hack together drivers. I finally got some working that were intended for Dell laptops. I've learned that MS made a deal with Broadcom (maker of the chip in this thing that enables you to WLAN) to not release working drivers for the 14E4 / 4315 to encourage people to migrate to vista.

I will show you how to find the 14E4 (vendor id) and 4315 (chip model) so you can search yourselves. This is the actually part of the Device instance id that you can find in xp by going to Control panel->System->Device manager->(mine says Network Adaptor with an !)->Right click,properties->Details tab->Device instance Id, should read PCI\VEN_14E4 (this is broadcom's vendor id) &DEV_4315 (this is device 4315). So basically you have a vendor id and hardware id. Now you can find out what drivers (.inf files) will match this device. Find an .inf file by searching for your device instance id (starting with vendor id, and up to the DEV_xxxxx part). I found a message board like this with someone who actually had information that a Dell laptop contained the same chip and their driver worked fine. I tried it, and success!! The link is here:

http://devid.info/index.php?text=PCI...E003105B&id=30

All you need to do is download the zip file, extract it to a folder on the laptop somewhere, right click that (!) Network adaptor, properties, update driver, browse to that folder with the extracted files, and voila! working Wifi instantly. I was so happy to see that WLAN light come on I figured I'd post this info out there on every site I could.

Looks like a great site for finding obscure drivers by device instance id!! Hope this helps some who were pulling their hair out like me trying to help out family with laptop problems
Computer Specs

28-Dec-2009, 06:14 PM #11
Hi Amplex and thanks for the information. I will try it as see if I can get that to work on my wifes computer, if I can get it away from her now, rofl. I did do a workaround and got her online, used a Netgear adaptor and in less than 5 minutes had her online, after about 3 days of trying to do it the normal way. Don't know why hers worked that way, we both have Acer laptops and mine hooked right up with the drivers I got from Acer and Intel, but hers refused to work. Again, I thank you for your work on this and will let you know if I can get hers to work with the information you posted. Thanks again.......
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!