Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

1995 Greetings Workshop

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Dec-2009, 05:06 AM #1
1995 Greetings Workshop
Trying to get our Christmas cards out and can't use my newest computer.
Have 1995 disk with all my wifes addresses on and can't use it because Vista OS says "Could not initialize GWUTIL.DLL" This file is on the program disk and I don't know what next. I have a 64 bit system and I think Win 95 was 16. What to do? Brow
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 736 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Dec-2009, 03:33 PM #2
Welcome to TSG!

As a technical note, Windows 95 was a hybrid 16/32 bit system capable of running either type of program. That hybrid nature allowed greater compatibility with old 16-bit Windows software and the newest 32-bit software. It also is why Windows 95/98/Me were so unstable.

If you do have the addresses elsewhere, you should just use an online card creator or whip up something with Word or Publisher (if you've ever done a mail merge those are great for Christmas cards- you make one master template in Word/Publisher and than an Excel spreadsheet containing names/addresses etc- and the merge makes individual documents, personalized for each recipient.)

Otherwise...
As far as I can tell '95 GW doesn't like to start on systems with large amounts of RAM like yours. Here are three possible solutions:
1) Find an old Windows 95/98/Me (aka 9x) machine to install this on.
2) Make a virtual machine with VirtualBox or Microsoft Virtual PC that you'll install Win 9x on, and then install GW on that
3) Force Vista to boot with less RAM using BCDEdit.

Let me know which sounds best to you and I'll give you more details!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!