Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Ftp!!!

(!)

Member with 233 posts.

Experience: Self Taught Advanced User
21-Jan-2010, 07:41 PM #1
Question Ftp!!!
Ok, my buddy Melvin always need huge files from me. ALWAYS. The way we usually do it is flash drive trading, but that takes like a day (too long).

The files we exchange are usually between 500mb and 2gb, so they are pretty big. [content is usually home movies or zip files full of install packs that he's too lazy to look up himself]

I need a more efficient way to do this. I've tried FTP things before with tremendous failure.

I need someone to walk me through (or give a good basic instruction of) the FTP process. There may be some technical issues, but I'm not sure.

We both have Windows Vista. He has a desktop with a wired internet connection (broadband). I have a laptop and I use a campus wireless connection always and have no access to the router settings.

I'm pretty much clueless on the settings I need to set to make the whole thing work. So, please tell me a good software for this and some settings I need to input to get the thing going.

Thanks! And sorry for making you read this all if you can't help
Computer Specs
Member with 697 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Jan-2010, 07:54 PM #2
This topic seems of questionable nature, just to be clear are you asking for assistance to trade illegal files with your friend?

If this is the case, beside the obvious of receiving no help here. Your campus/college network administrators may be monitoring for such illegal activity that breaks most service level agreements as well as the legal implications with the law.
Member with 233 posts.

21-Jan-2010, 08:14 PM #3
To be CLEAR here... I am doing nothing illegal. The installation packages are under GPL and redistributable licenses. Home movies are my property, which is under my ownership and I may do as I please with them. Those were just some examples. Other things would be pictures, home made music, etc. [basically, what I'm not able to email him]

I take offense to your remark and I greatly do not appreciate the suspicion from you "helpful" (sort of ironic). If anybody actually has help for me, please do. Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

21-Jan-2010, 08:39 PM #4
Download FileZilla client and FileZilla server. The directions that come with them are very good. You can set up passwords so people you don't know aren't using your bandwidth and exchange files all you want.

What you and your friends exchange is your business.
Junior Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jan-2010, 08:46 PM #5
Link to download Filezilla

http://filezilla-project.org/
Computer Specs
Member with 697 posts.

21-Jan-2010, 08:50 PM #6
I apologize since you clarified that you are sharing gpl software, but you might want to check with your isp first, since your sla may prohibit you from hosting files.

If you are sharing sensitive information on an insecure network (internet/campus) ftp protocol is not the best one to use.

http://www.freesshd.com/ allows secure ftp that would prevent other people capturing acoout information during logon, and protects against eavesdropping by others.

Regarding setup, you would typically create a restricted account on your computer, grant him access ONLY to the folders that you want him to access (through NTFS security permissions) and create virtual directory to that folder.

You should also create a home directory with full permission, where he could upload files and this will be the default location when he logons on.

You may also be interested in a free dynamic dns name, otherwise you will have to provide him your ip address which is hard to remember and may change from time to time.

Last edited by helpful; 21-Jan-2010 at 09:17 PM..
Member with 233 posts.

21-Jan-2010, 09:08 PM #7
Ok, Filezilla (the server) wants a password from me to set up a link from my computer.

Why is this? And what is the DNS you mentioned? Also, I will keep the FTP password protected and the ISP does not have a problem with it.

21-Jan-2010, 09:21 PM #8
Computer Specs
Member with 697 posts.

21-Jan-2010, 09:28 PM #9
with dynamic dns you could create your own personalized domain from a provider such as dyndns.org.

You would be able to chose a sub domain (examplename.dyndns.org) that you could use instead of an ip address. This would allow your friend to connect to your server using your dynamic hostname (examplename.dyndns.org) instead of your ip address.

Also with a dynamic dns provider you would be able to install software on your pc or configure your router so that when your ip address changes dyndns.org dns records are updated automatically and your friend would be able to continue to use the hostname you gave him without even knowing and having to be told about the ip address change.
Computer Specs
Member with 697 posts.

21-Jan-2010, 09:42 PM #10
Also you will have to open port 21 on both your windows firewall and on your router to allow outside connections using ftp.

sftp usually use port 22 but you should double-check the documentation for the program you decide to use.
Member with 233 posts.

21-Jan-2010, 09:59 PM #11
I don't have router access (I think). And for FileZilla, I'm stuck again with establishing the server. And how do I open the port on the firewall?

21-Jan-2010, 10:03 PM #12
which operating system are you using?
Member with 233 posts.

21-Jan-2010, 10:13 PM #13
Windows Vista.

Also, I went to dysdns.org and set up an account. - The things I see basically allow me to register a domain name for free. Will that help me with FTP transfers? Above, it was mentioned that that would be easier, but I just don't understand what it is that I'm doing.
Member with 233 posts.

21-Jan-2010, 10:16 PM #14
Oh, and with the dysdns.org host thing, am I using it for "remote file access" or something else?

21-Jan-2010, 10:47 PM #15
To open port manually in Windows Firewall:

1. Open Windows Firewall by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Security, and then clicking Windows Firewall.
  2. Click Allow a program through Windows Firewall. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. Click Add port.
  4. In the Name box, type a name that will help you remember what the port is used for.
  5. In the Port number box, type the port number.
  6. Click TCP or UDP, depending on the protocol.
  7. To change scope for the port, click Change scope, and then click the option that you want to use. ("Scope" refers to the set of computers that can use this port opening.)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ndows-firewall
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
broadband, connection, fileshare, ftp, transfer

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!