Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Erunt restore from command line

(!)

Member with 678 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Feb-2010, 01:49 AM #1
Erunt restore from command line
My 32 bit Vista laptop suddenly won't boot into Windows. It comes to a blue screen and then offers to repair the startup, but can't. Then I get a window offering options, one of them being System Restore. Then it tells me there are no restore points. Another option is a command prompt. I have Erunt on the laptop and have it set to do automatic backups. I would like to try to restore the registry and see if it can fix it, but don't know if I can do this from a command prompt when Windows isn't running. Would appreciate any suggestions. I also have a Linux live disk if that would be of any use to me in fixing this.

If I can restore from a command prompt, (I know how to maneuver to the files I am looking for) can you tell me, would I just go to the files and type in the name of the backup file I want to use and hit enter or do I need something else?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Peg
Computer Specs
Member with 6,964 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Feb-2010, 08:28 AM #2
It's worth a try. Go to C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT\1-1-2010 (whatever date you have) then type in ERDNT.exe that should restore the registry as of that date.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
02-Feb-2010, 09:08 AM #3
I've run erdnt from the UBCD4Win and it restored the registry of the offline system (the one where erdnt was located) unlike other programs that only work on the system you are logged into. I doubt that the supporting files would be present in the recovery environment, but as stantley says, give it a try. If it tries to restore the registry on the CD, you'll know pretty fast.

(Hint: I keep my ERUNT backups in a root folder, C:\ERUNT, so they are easy to access from a command line or find when offline.)
Member with 678 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Feb-2010, 09:34 AM #4
I gave it my best effort. Wound up creating the UBCD4Win CD and was able to get into my files, but restoring the registery didn't fix it.

Thanks for the input.
Peg
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!