Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

outlook express sends, does not receive

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 184 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Apr-2010, 10:33 AM #1
outlook express sends, does not receive
I can send emails using OE, but when I click on send/receive I get an error message as follows:

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800C0133

This only occurs on my laptop, The desktop sends and receive using OE with no problems. The laptop os is XP Home and it has 1 gig of memory. Plenty of memory. It was working OK until March 31 at 1205 PM which was the last email I received and I am using OE 6.

Went online to ATT and made sure the email servers and my email was correctly setup and they verify the problem is not with my setup connections and is with OE. I send mail OK.
sluggo123

Last edited by sluggo123; 08-Apr-2010 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: clarify that the problem is not with email server connections but with Outlook Express
Member with 37 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Apr-2010, 11:12 AM #2
you may have a corrupted inbox. try creating a new one and try to connect to the server again.
Computer Specs
Member with 184 posts.

08-Apr-2010, 12:28 PM #3
OK,I did that and received all my messages. Thanks. One problem remains, in the old mail boxes that I had added had some good emails saved in them that is still there. How do I move them over to the new email acct.?
Member with 37 posts.

08-Apr-2010, 12:54 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo123 View Post
OK,I did that and received all my messages. Thanks. One problem remains, in the old mail boxes that I had added had some good emails saved in them that is still there. How do I move them over to the new email acct.?
this should do the trick: http://support.spanlogic.net/Custome...x?articleid=13
Computer Specs
Member with 184 posts.

08-Apr-2010, 07:13 PM #5
Thanks everything is working again. Thank you
sluggo
Computer Specs
Member with 184 posts.

08-Apr-2010, 07:27 PM #6
No, it is not, the inbox becomes corrupted each time I close OE. Is it possible I could have a virus or other malware doing this.
Member with 37 posts.

08-Apr-2010, 07:39 PM #7
wow... i did a search on microsoft and found the following article:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/...orruption.mspx

do any of the symptoms reflect the problems you're having?

if your DBX file is corrupted, try using one of the following programs: http://www.insideoe.com/resources/tools.htm#macallan

i believe there's a 30 day trial for the following: http://www.emailadept.com/Outlook-Express-Repair.htm

please keep the thread updated with your findings. it could be very interesting for others in the future!
Computer Specs
Member with 184 posts.

08-Apr-2010, 09:13 PM #8
I had run Auslogics defrag program, that did not help, Then just a short time ago Dishkeeper Lite popped up and said I had over 6,000 fragments on my hard drive. So I ran the free program and the Inbox started receiving emails again. So far it is still working. I will see how it does tomorrow. I thought when Dishkeeper lite told me that I had that many fragments after I had just ran Auslogics defrag program it was just trying to get me to buy the full version, But it seems the free version was good enough. If that was what indeed got the inbox to working again. I am not sure. and will let you know more on the morrow.
sluggo
Computer Specs
Member with 184 posts.

13-Apr-2010, 08:51 AM #9
Worked until last night. Stopped working and the same error message popped up. I think I may see a light at the end of the tunnel. The last month and especially last week I noticed the screen is getting dim and now this trouble. I think the notebook is dying due to old age. This is probably a hard drive going out. How can I prove or dis prove this theory?????
Member with 37 posts.

15-Apr-2010, 11:56 PM #10
how big is your inbox?
Computer Specs
Member with 184 posts.

16-Apr-2010, 05:17 PM #11
My inbox has about500 emails. Not that many i have had as many as 3000 and no problems.. I thought it might be the hard drive failing but I had a old mirro image on an external hard drive and put it in the USB port on the Notebook and it ran OK, go my mail and sent mail. Went back to the C:\ and ran OE and it worked just fine. Prior to using the mirrored image, I could not get online, something was blocking the Notebook, it could not connect to the Wireless Router. After I ran the mirrored image the C:\ connects fine. Now if it will do it after I shut it down and reopen it a couple of times it may be OK. I removed a couple of programs that I thought might be cause problems. I will give it a work out and see what happens now.
sluggo
Member with 37 posts.

20-Apr-2010, 11:27 PM #12
everything ok now?
Computer Specs
Member with 184 posts.

21-Apr-2010, 11:04 AM #13
I thought it was until I tried to get on last night and again this morning still could not reach my wireless router. Went through all the checks, removed power from router then powered it up again. Still could not find the router. Did a reconnetc to the wireless router with password, username etc. still it could not find the router. I am now doing a system restore to the point Sat when it was working. Don't yet how that will come out.
Computer Specs
Member with 184 posts.

21-Apr-2010, 11:23 AM #14
System Restore set the new restore point in but it did not help, still can not get online this AM. Both the other computers are online but they have direct ethernet connection to the router.
Member with 37 posts.

21-Apr-2010, 11:29 AM #15
is the wireless turned on on the router? can you not even see the SSID?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!