Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

E172FPt Dell Monitor Driver

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Apr-2010, 05:43 PM #1
Red face E172FPt Dell Monitor Driver
I have read all previous answers saying that with windows XP no driver is needed. here is my situation:
I have a DELL Inspiron 2500 Laptop whose screen was cracked. I removed the defective screen and am using the above monitor instead. I have shut down and restarted several times but all I get in "monitors" in Device Manager is "Digital Flat Panel (800x600)". I know that a driver has to exist somewhere for this thing, but am having no luck on Dell's site or anywhere else. Any ideas?
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,374 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Apr-2010, 07:09 PM #2
Go to the Windows Updates site and do a custom scan instead of an express scan.

When the scan is finished, check the section for optional hardware updates.

If an INF monitor update is available in the list for your Dell monitor, download and install it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

What's listed in Display Adapters in the Device Manager?

What's the 7-character "service tag number" of that laptop?

----------------------------------------------------------------
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,857 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Apr-2010, 05:53 PM #3
I take it you are connecting it via the vga connector on the back? It should show as a secondary monitor in your monitor control panel and you may need to change the device to 1280x1024 flat panel. It could be interesting what with having the main display disconnected.
Monitors don't have drivers as such. All you get is an .inf file (and possibly an ICM file) that tells your graphics driver what colour profiles and resolutions/refresh rates it supports.
Member with 124 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-May-2010, 06:19 PM #4
I have the same display. I looked at what the monitor was and there was no installed drivers. the monitor support comes from and intel controller (driver, controller, I don't know the difference). the logo in the properties section says 'Intel extreme graphics 2' and my controller is 82865G try searching around the intel download center for a controller that would work on your computer.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!