Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: everything opens in word pad

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 17 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-May-2010, 12:45 PM #1
Solved: everything opens in word pad
Something has happened today which has stopped any of my programs opening in their format. Everything (excel, word, windows mail etc opens in word pad which shows garbled notes. It seems that the only thing working is the internet.

I have done virus check and shows no problems.

I have tried right clicking on the short cuts and use 'open with' but there is no 'open with' only open.

I cannot do a restore to yesterday as this opens in word pad.

However I am unable to open any of the programs such as Windows Mail BulkSMS texting or through the pdf program as these all open in word pad etc

If I go direct to the excel files word pdf etc directly these do open up in their correct format.

I have been to Control Panel > Control Panel Home > Default Programs > Set Associations but all are in correct format.

I have vista Home basic

Please help

Cpt Nicko

Last edited by cptnicko; 22-May-2010 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: update further info
Computer Specs
Member with 6,928 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-May-2010, 01:04 PM #2
Try doing a System Restore using one of these alternative methods:

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/recovery.html
Computer Specs

22-May-2010, 01:14 PM #3
can I check first
The system was loaded by the shop which sold me the PC. I assume that I will need to take it back to them to do it. Will it do anything to the files that I have as these are quite valuable.

Cheers
Computer Specs

22-May-2010, 01:22 PM #4
thinking of different solitions
The system is Home basic. I do have Office Small Business 2007 package. Would I be able to do the repair with this?

Cheers
Computer Specs
Member with 6,928 posts.

22-May-2010, 01:22 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnicko View Post
Will it do anything to the files that I have as these are quite valuable.
No, a System Restore just affects Windows system files, it should leave all of your personal files intact.

But it's still a good idea to have any valuable files backed up on an external hard drive or a CD/DVD.
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 31,747 posts.

22-May-2010, 01:23 PM #6
Try this fix: EXEFIX

Unzip the fix and extract the .REG file to the Desktop. Right-click the .REG file and choose Merge. Note that you need to be an Administrator to apply this fix.

Reboot the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

Please read instructions and questions carefully, and reply in a timely manner... Thank you.

If your problem is solved, please click on the Mark Solved button.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,928 posts.

22-May-2010, 01:28 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnicko View Post
The system is Home basic. I do have Office Small Business 2007 package. Would I be able to do the repair with this?

Cheers
No, you would need the Vista install CD/DVD.

The other thing I was going to suggest is what Phantom010 just posted as I was writing this.
Computer Specs

22-May-2010, 02:26 PM #8
I did what Phantom010 and your kind self suggested ie Unzip the fix and extract the .REG file to the Desktop. Right-click the .REG file and choose Merge. Rebooted and all programs started on startup. Desktop icon showed no change until I double clicked them and the image came up and excel word etc started. The other icons also start up but their image no longer shows but this is not a problem.

May I say that you ppl are fantastic. I have been trying to solve this problem all day wile missing the sun.

We have a works website that is open to the public and I would like to promote you on our web pages, how do I go about gaining your permission.

I will now open a bottle of wine and celebrate your skills

Out of curiosity what was the issue.

Cpt Nicko
Computer Specs

22-May-2010, 02:28 PM #9
Quote:
Out of curiosity what was the issue.
Could have been malware related.

If you want,

Please click here to download and install version 2.0.2 of the HijackThis Installer.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next post.

Do not fix anything
Computer Specs

22-May-2010, 02:29 PM #10
Quote:
We have a works website that is open to the public and I would like to promote you on our web pages, how do I go about gaining your permission?
You could ask Mike (TechGuy). Send him a private message.
Computer Specs

24-May-2010, 05:02 AM #11
hope this helps

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 10:04:03, on 24/05/2010
Platform: Windows Vista (WinNT 6.00.1904)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18904)
Boot mode: Normal
Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Auto Update\RIMAutoUpdate.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuschd2.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\ToolboxFX\bin\HPTLBXFX.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP UT\bin\hppusg.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe
C:\Program Files\BulkSMS Messenger\Messenger.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Update\1.2.183.23\GoogleCrashHandler.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10c.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - URLSearchHook: SearchHelper Class - {91C18ED5-5E1C-4AE5-A148-A861DE8C8E16} - C:\Program Files\SGPSA\mtwb3sh.dll
R3 - URLSearchHook: McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - {0EBBBE48-BAD4-4B4C-8E5A-516ABECAE064} - c:\progra~1\mcafee\sitead~1\mcieplg.dll
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee Phishing Filter - {27B4851A-3207-45A2-B947-BE8AFE6163AB} - c:\progra~1\mcafee\msk\mskapbho.dll
O2 - BHO: scriptproxy - {7DB2D5A0-7241-4E79-B68D-6309F01C5231} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\ScriptSn.20100514095947.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO - {B164E929-A1B6-4A06-B104-2CD0E90A88FF} - c:\progra~1\mcafee\sitead~1\mcieplg.dll
O2 - BHO: XBTBPos00 - {FCBCCB87-9224-4B8D-B117-F56D924BEB18} - C:\Program Files\Fast Browser Search\IE\FBStoolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Fast Browser Search Toolbar - {1BB22D38-A411-4B13-A746-C2A4F4EC7344} - C:\Program Files\Fast Browser Search\IE\FBStoolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - {0EBBBE48-BAD4-4B4C-8E5A-516ABECAE064} - c:\progra~1\mcafee\sitead~1\mcieplg.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BlackBerryAutoUpdate] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Auto Update\RIMAutoUpdate.exe /background
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxWatchTray] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatchTray9.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ToolBoxFX] "C:\Program Files\HP\ToolBoxFX\bin\HPTLBXFX.exe" /enumn /alertsn /notificationsn /fln /frn /appDatan /tmcpn
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPUsageTracking] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP UT\bin\hppusg.exe" "C:\Program Files\HP\HP UT\"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mcui_exe] "C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe" /runkey
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [EA Core] "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EADM\Core.exe" -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ISUSPM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe" -scheduler
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DriverFinder] C:\Program Files\DriverFinder\DriverFinder.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Startup: OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: BulkSMS Messenger.lnk = C:\Program Files\BulkSMS Messenger\Messenger.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Desktop Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\DesktopMgr.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/ge...sh/swflash.cab
O18 - Protocol: dssrequest - {5513F07E-936B-4E52-9B00-067394E91CC5} - c:\progra~1\mcafee\sitead~1\mcieplg.dll
O18 - Protocol: sacore - {5513F07E-936B-4E52-9B00-067394E91CC5} - c:\progra~1\mcafee\sitead~1\mcieplg.dll
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SiteAdvisor Service - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mcafee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall (McMPFSvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mcafee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Services (mcmscsvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mcafee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee VirusScan Announcer (McNaiAnn) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mcafee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mcafee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\mcods.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mcafee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe
O23 - Service: McShield - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Firewall Core Service (mfefire) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\\mfefire.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service (mfevtp) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\mfevtps.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Online Backup (MOBKbackup) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee Online Backup\MOBKbackup.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Anti-Spam Service (MSK80Service) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mcafee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio UPnP Renderer 9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Roxio\Digital Home 9\RoxioUPnPRenderer9.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio Upnp Server 9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Roxio\Digital Home 9\RoxioUpnpService9.exe
O23 - Service: LiveShare P2P Server 9 (RoxLiveShare9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxLiveShare9.exe
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 (RoxWatch9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe
O23 - Service: TeamViewer 4 (TeamViewer4) - TeamViewer GmbH - C:\Program Files\TeamViewer\Version4\TeamViewer_Service.exe
--
End of file - 8826 bytes
Computer Specs

24-May-2010, 06:26 PM #12
As far as your HijackThis log is concerned, I can't see anything suspicious.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!