Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

AdAware slow to install and run

(!)

Member with 475 posts.

Experience: Beginner
06-Jun-2010, 06:15 AM #1
Unhappy AdAware slow to install and run
I've been having problems with slow operation. I already have CA antivirus and spyware protection and I also have Spybot which I update weekly. I thought I'd give AdAware another chance. It took over 90 minutes to download, install and update the definitions and another 30 minutes to do a Smart Scan. Today the computer seems even slower. Is this normal? If not, what could be the problem? Should I uninstall AdAware?

Computer - HP Pavilion 750n
Processor - 1.6 GHz Pentium 4
RAM - 768 MB (upgraded)
Trusted Advisor with 15,944 posts.

06-Jun-2010, 06:25 AM #2
Hi make sure that Tea Timer in Spybot is not running - as it will conflict with CA spyware program.
Do not run Spybot in the Advance setting.
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/49.html

Uninstall Ad-Aware -and see if your Pc runs better.
Other good Spyware programs.
http://www.superantispyware.com
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,412 posts.

06-Jun-2010, 06:26 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by debodun View Post
...Should I uninstall AdAware?
I would .. then see if the performance improves.
I quit using AdAware a long time ago
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,326 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Jun-2010, 08:14 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by debodun View Post
I've been having problems with slow operation. I already have CA antivirus and spyware protection and I also have Spybot which I update weekly. I thought I'd give AdAware another chance. It took over 90 minutes to download, install and update the definitions and another 30 minutes to do a Smart Scan. Today the computer seems even slower. Is this normal? If not, what could be the problem? Should I uninstall AdAware?

Computer - HP Pavilion 750n
Processor - 1.6 GHz Pentium 4
RAM - 768 MB (upgraded)
You're using bloated and system-hungry security programs, which is probably the reason for the overall slowness of your old computer.

----------------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!