Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Google Earth Won't Work

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 58 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Aug-2010, 12:35 PM #1
Angry Solved: Google Earth Won't Work
I have a 6 month old computer running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit. I downloaded and ran Google Earth soon after I bought it but then it stopped working a few months later. Uninstalled and reinstalled serveral times but it still can't connect with one of the three servers. The message says it's being blocked but I even turned my firewall off to no avail. Any advice would be appreciated
Member with 312 posts.

17-Aug-2010, 01:29 PM #2
I would check with your ISP and see if they are blocking it. Since it worked before and now it doesn't, maybe they made some changes.
Computer Specs
Member with 58 posts.

18-Aug-2010, 06:32 AM #3
Thanks both of you. I've just tried my wife's computer (7 years old running Vista) which uses the same ISP and shares a modem and Google Earth loads and works fine on hers. I seem to recall there might be some file or register I need to delete in addition to running uninstall?
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,356 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Aug-2010, 10:06 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by captharry View Post
I seem to recall there might be some file or register I need to delete in addition to running uninstall?
Only if you have been hacking and tweaking your system. Otherwise it should install and run.

What have you been doing to this system?
Computer Specs
Member with 58 posts.

18-Aug-2010, 10:27 AM #5
I'm not into hacking and tweaking! I have just downloaded or installed many programs. I took the original anti virus off and downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials and I also use Threatfire. Can't think of anything else unusual.
Computer Specs

18-Aug-2010, 01:31 PM #6
What was your original AV program and did you uninstalled it properly?
Computer Specs
Member with 58 posts.

18-Aug-2010, 03:20 PM #7
You might be on to something! It was Bullguard and I only turned it off before in installed AVG. I realise now I should have uninstalled it first but I didn't uninstall until after I'd put AVG on. Since then , based on other advice, I took AVG off and went to MSE.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,360 posts.

18-Aug-2010, 04:38 PM #8
i have never had a problem running programs when using AVG
Member with 547 posts.

18-Aug-2010, 05:39 PM #9
I always use Revo Uninstaller to do a thorough job.

http://majorgeeks.com/Revo_Uninstaller_d5706.html
Computer Specs
Member with 58 posts.

19-Aug-2010, 05:24 AM #10
OK, I think I've tried most things. I've completely uninstalled Google Earth using Revo uninstall. I've then reinstalled GE with the firewall turned off and I says 'can't connect with servers'. I've run their diagnostic test which is supposed to check with kh.google.com, geo.keyhole.com & auth.keyhole.com. The test comes back saying maps.google.com and auth.keyhole.com were successful.

Any other advice please?
Computer Specs
Member with 58 posts.

19-Aug-2010, 05:27 AM #11
OK I've tried most things! I've completely uninstalled GE using Revo. I've tried to install GE with my firewall turned off and I get an erro saying 'can't connect with servers'. Running their diagnostics checks with kh.keyhole.com, geo.keyhole.com & auth.keyhole.com. The results are maps.goole.com and auth.keyhole.com were successful.

Any other advice please?
Computer Specs
Member with 58 posts.

22-Aug-2010, 02:39 AM #12
Smile Breakthrough!
Well, I've had a result of some sort! This morning I tried the copy of Google Earth I loaded 3 days ago and it worked! I was so pleased I fired up your site to post the good news then GE stopped working! I've since established that GE only runs if Explorer is turned off! Normally, I would have explorer running all the time and this was preventing GE from connecting. Although there is obviously still a problem I can live with it. If I need GE I'll make sure Explorer is turned off. Unless anyone has any suggestions why Explorer 8 prevents GE working I'm happy to close this thread
Computer Specs

22-Aug-2010, 11:19 AM #13
Just fire it up and it works just fine for me on a Windows 7 64 bit running IE8 32 bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Google Earth Won't Work-googleearth-ie8.png  
Computer Specs

22-Aug-2010, 11:28 AM #14
I even went back and updated Google Earth and then open another session IE8 but this time the 64 it version and GE still works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Google Earth Won't Work-googleearth-ie8-002.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 58 posts.

22-Aug-2010, 11:34 AM #15
Thanks DaveA. Mine still gives me problems but at least I have a work around. Happy to close this thread now, I'm new to this so I'll mark it solved!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!