Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't enable SLI due to ccsvchst.exe

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Oct-2010, 12:15 AM #1
Can't enable SLI due to ccsvchst.exe
I am running NIS 2010 and haven't really had any problems with it in the past.

I recently checked my Nvidia settings and noticed that, for some strange reason, my SLI was disabled. I tried to enable it only to have NVIDIA tell me to close the following programs before proceeding:

CCSVCHST.EXE

I know this process is related to Norton, but I can't end the process (Access Denied message when trying to kill it in the Task Manager). But NVIDIA won't let me enable SLI while CCSVCHST.EXE is running.

Help?

WapCaplet
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,317 posts.

14-Oct-2010, 02:01 PM #2
Have you tried disabling Norton? The ccsvchst.exe process works to display the GUI (Graphical User Interface) of Norton.
Computer Specs

14-Oct-2010, 09:06 PM #3
I'm not sure how to "disable" Norton exactly. I can turn off the Anti-virus portion, or the firewall portion, or any number of "parts" of Norton, but I don't see a way to disable Norton entirely. The option does not exist in the Norton software itself as far as I can see. Can this be done through Services perhaps?
Computer Specs

14-Oct-2010, 09:23 PM #4
Start with the antivirus and firewall.

I don't think you'll be able to stop Norton through the Services.
Computer Specs

15-Oct-2010, 08:59 AM #5
Unfortunately it looks like there is no way to "disable" Norton to the point where ccSvcHst.exe goes away. I have learned that this executable is required to support the Norton GUI. The only way to truly remove it is to uninstall Norton itself. Ultimately it actually looks like this is a problem with Nvidia as their software should not care whether ccSvcHst.exe is running or not. Enabling SLI should not have a conflict with Norton; but it does. Very difficult getting either side to admit it's their problem.

Sadly, I'm still stuck with 2 GPUs and no way to use them both. Looks like either Norton or Nvidia will have to go. Can't decide which.
Computer Specs

15-Oct-2010, 10:52 AM #6
Try stopping the process in the Services.
Computer Specs

15-Oct-2010, 06:44 PM #7
The Norton Internet Security service cannot be disabled or stopped from the Services area. The application is listed, but the options to Start/Stop the service are greyed out and not available. Even if I try changing the Activation Method from 'Automatic' to 'Manual' or 'Disabled' I get a message saying that access is denied (Error 5).

I also tried upgrading to NIS 2011 since it's free with my subscription and it was suggested by a Norton rep that this might help. It did not.

Very frustrating.
DerekC has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 1,704 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Oct-2010, 08:07 PM #8
Just to confirm, you do have 2 video cards in the computer, correct?
Computer Specs

16-Oct-2010, 01:36 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekC View Post
Just to confirm, you do have 2 video cards in the computer, correct?
Lol! Yes, I definitely have two (2) 7900 GS cards. I know I was running SLI a while ago. I only just noticed it was disabled recently, but I honestly don't know how it got disabled.

Good thing to ask though. I'm sure it's happened to someone before. That would be embarrassing.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!