Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows 7 DVD Image won't fit on DVD.

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 16 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jan-2011, 07:33 PM #1
Windows 7 DVD Image won't fit on DVD.
Hi all.

I just created an ISO of a Windows 7 installation DVD and wanted to burn it to my own DVD... However it appears that the ISO image made is too big to fit on a standard DVD.

I looked at the properties of the actual Windows 7 install disc and it says that it is 4.78GB in size which is the same size the ISO will burn to, so there wasn't a problem creating the image file.

Windows says that the DVD I'm using is only 4.38 GB and ImgBurn says I need a double layer DVD to complete the burn...

I used to have another image of Windows 7 but lost it somewhere transferring files to my new computer, and that image fitted perfectly on a standard DVD.

Why won't this image fit and How is it that Microsoft fitted the 4.78 GB on the DVD? It's got me stumped
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

23-Jan-2011, 10:16 AM #2
MS Windows 7 disc sizes, discs contain Starter, Basic, Premium, Pro, and Ultimate:
x64 disc:
3.00 GB (3,224,686,592 bytes)
x86 disc:
2.32 GB (2,501,894,144 bytes)

I don't know why your ISO would be so large unless it has updates or other programs slipstreamed into it. Or possibly an OEM disc that contains both the 32 and 64 bit versions on one disk.

Keep in mind DVD sizes are measured in decimal bytes, same as hard drives.
1 KB = 1000 bytes, where as Binary 1KiB = 1024 Bytes (KiB is the correct abbreviation)

A 4.7 GB disc holds 4,700,000,000 bytes, which in binary is 4.38 GiB. Anything larger would require a Double Layer disc.

4.78 GiB as reported by Windows would be approximately 5,132,485,918 bytes
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 16 posts.

23-Jan-2011, 09:04 PM #3
Hmmm... Cheers for the reply...

Might have to chase up another Disc. This was an OEM one from Dell. They probably added a whole lot of stuff I really don't need haha.

Thank You
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!