Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

OpenOffice - can't open any of my documents all of a sudden

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Jan-2011, 01:37 PM #1
I have Windows Vista.
For the past couple of days I have been receiving an error every time I try to open an OpenOffice odt document. I am trying to access my resume so that I can edit it and email it. I have tried to open other documents and I get the same error. The error message is:

OpenOffice.org 3.3 - Fatal Error
The application cannot be started.
An internal error occurred.

Please let me know how I can fix this. I have tried updating to the most current version of OpenOffice. I just don't know what else to do.
Member with 71 posts.

28-Jan-2011, 02:53 PM #2
Try running a repair install. Start the installer and select repair when prompted. Also try resetting the user profile http://user.services.openoffice.org/...p?f=74&t=12426.
Computer Specs

28-Jan-2011, 06:49 PM #3
When you say to try running a repair install do you mean for Windows Vista?? Can you also provide me with a link or how I should do that? Thanks.
Member with 71 posts.

28-Jan-2011, 08:27 PM #4
I'm talking about a repair install of OpenOffice not Vista. Try this:
Open the Control Panel and find Openoffice in the list. Right Click and select repair.
Computer Specs

28-Jan-2011, 08:44 PM #5
I first off want to thank you. You have been really helpful. I am freaking out because I really need to open up and access my resume so that I can email it to a possible employer. Once I open Control Panel I went to "Programs and Features" and searched for Open Office and got an error that said "Fatal Error During Installation." Should I uninstall it and then install it again? Thanks in advance for your help.
Member with 71 posts.

28-Jan-2011, 11:31 PM #6
Download and run Revo Uninstaller Free to remove the install. Use the most aggressive settings. Re-install afterwards
Computer Specs

29-Jan-2011, 02:21 AM #7
Thank you for your last response. The Revo Uninstaller helped. I downloaded Open Office 3.3 and now I am receiving the following error:

Java (TM) 6 Update 22
Error 1606. Could not access network location.
%APPDATA%\

I went to Javas website to verify that I have it and got the following message:

Verified Java Version

Congratulations!

You have the recommended Java installed (Version 6 Update 23).

In order to fix this error do I need to download to Version 6 Update 22 which is what is referenced in the error message when I try to install Open Office??

Just when you assist me in fixing one problem, another one pops up. Again you have been very very helpful. Please tell me how I can fix this. Thanks
Computer Specs

29-Jan-2011, 02:29 AM #8
I finally got my resume to open in Open Office. Thanks again for all of your help.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

29-Jan-2011, 03:18 AM #9
wow thanks for revo uninstaller link
I wasn't aware of this product
Member with 71 posts.

29-Jan-2011, 03:06 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine29 View Post
Thank you for your last response. The Revo Uninstaller helped. I downloaded Open Office 3.3 and now I am receiving the following error:

Java (TM) 6 Update 22
Error 1606. Could not access network location.
%APPDATA%\

I went to Javas website to verify that I have it and got the following message:

Verified Java Version

Congratulations!

You have the recommended Java installed (Version 6 Update 23).

In order to fix this error do I need to download to Version 6 Update 22 which is what is referenced in the error message when I try to install Open Office??

Just when you assist me in fixing one problem, another one pops up. Again you have been very very helpful. Please tell me how I can fix this. Thanks
Unfortunatley the OOoV3.3 with JRE is Update 22. No you don't need to download update 22. If both 22 and 23 are installed go to Control Panel-->Programs and features and uninstall Update 22.
Then in OOo go to Tools-->Options-->Openoffice.org-->Java and make sure that the button next update 23 is checked. Then click OK.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!