Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Corrupt Java - can't uninstall old copy

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jan-2011, 02:30 PM #1
Corrupt Java - can't uninstall old copy
Running Windows 7 (32bit) on a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop....

When I try to update Java to version 6_23, this is what I get:
* This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it? (I choose yes)
* Pop-up Windows Installer: Preparing to remove
* Pop-up Windows Installer: Can't locate required DLL. Click to navigate to jre1.6.0_11-c-l.msi (This is a paraphrase, but the file name is correct - I can't get that message to reappear.

Based on online advice, I used CCleaner and the CCleaner Registry Cleaner, as well as "JavaRA" programs.

Now, when I try to install Java to version 6_23, this is what I get:
* This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it? (I choose yes)
* Pop-up Windows Installer: Preparing to remove
* Pop-up Windows Installer: Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid. (There are no choices to point to whatever 'transform paths' are)

BTW: There is no longer any Java listed in my Program Uninstall list.

This is driving me crazy, and Java applications won't work. Help! :-)
Computer Specs
Member with 1,754 posts.

30-Jan-2011, 08:53 PM #2
Hopefully this will be of some help:

http://www.digitalalchemy.tv/2008/07...ion-error.html
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

31-Jan-2011, 06:55 AM #3
Thanks, kniht for the lead and thank you very much for your service in the USAF (I like your avatar!) My daughter and son-in-law are both proud Senior Airmen in the Air Force!

Sadly, your tip-lead didn't solve the problem, although it did perhaps reveal some more details...
* The Java version that is corrupt and won't completely uninstall is 6.0_11.
* I can use the 6.0_11 msi installer file to try to re-install a clean version of 11, which seems to install correctly, but doesn't solve the problem
* If I try to install the current version (23) from the 6.0_23 msi installer file directly, I get the 'transforms' error again.

Any other thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
Tim
Computer Specs
Member with 254 posts.

31-Jan-2011, 07:20 PM #4
Whenever I can't uninstall a program in Add/Remove Programs I download a free program called Revo Uninstaller. I've used it several times and it always does the trick. When you use it, it gives you several options on cleaning up leftover information after the uninstall. I have always selected the bottom one which cleans out most, if not all, the leftover junk. It works beautifully.

Here's a link to it: http://revo-uninstaller.en.softonic.com/
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
java installation problem

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!