Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

For backups: Do you copy/paste, or use backup tool?

(!)

Member with 40 posts.

Experience: Beginner
21-Mar-2011, 02:58 PM #1
For backups: Do you copy/paste, or use backup tool?
I'm confused about something.

On my home PC, to backup my own files [files I create or download], I always select the parent folder(s), click copy, and then paste it to the backup destination, usually a usb flash drive. This seems fast and simple--a no-brainer, perfectly suited for me.

But some people use a backup tool. What's the reason for this? Is it for more complex backups or something? Or does the backup tool compress/archive/whatever the files, to change their format?

Thanks for info!
Computer Specs
Member with 26,330 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Mar-2011, 03:01 PM #2
I think this would best be served in the software forum so I'm going to move it there.
Member with 40 posts.

21-Mar-2011, 03:08 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyritechips View Post
I think this would best be served in the software forum so I'm going to move it there.
Sorry about choosing the wrong forum--I chose Random because I thought the question was so elementary I'd be laughed out of a respectable forum like this one!
Computer Specs
Member with 144 posts.

Experience: intermediate-i hope :P
21-Mar-2011, 03:23 PM #4
for simple back ups of you files and stuff the method you use is okay but a back up tool ( the type i have in mind, like the one i use, Macrium Reflect ) creates an image of your actual system (your whole operating system) as well as all your files and stuff.
see if something goes wrong you can restore from a back up and be back up and running like nothing ever happened. whereas - simply copying and pasting personal folders will only secure that stuff - Not your system.
Account Disabled with 44,931 posts.

21-Mar-2011, 03:33 PM #5
I use Syncback Free for data backups.
Karen's Replicator also does a good job

http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

I use drive imaging to back up the OS......Acronis for XP and the Windows method for Win7.
Member with 40 posts.

21-Mar-2011, 03:53 PM #6
Thanks for info+pointers, luky and Stoner.

Though I was aware of this distinction, I sort of overlooked it--different "levels" of backups. The simplest being the copy/paste or select/drag of one's personal stuff, like I do. On the high end is an entire system or hard-drive imaging backup, which requires a tool.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Mar-2011, 08:28 PM #7
Most backup tools also have an "automatic/scheduled" option which is helpful to those of with imperfect memories. Backup tools tend to use special formats and compress data, but you can extract single files when necessary.
Account Disabled with 16,918 posts.

30-Mar-2011, 01:56 AM #8
Copy and paste guy here
Highlight copy then paste ..this is how I back up my media such as pictures,music etc.
I create a new system image on occasion to keep current with my latest apps and windows updates

I would like to point out that I dont keep much media on C..just what I have been using recently..then I copy to a partition on the same hard drive ..then also an external..I then delete the accumulated media on C.

Works out great as I have the library view to show my media on the other partition..for instance I have 5300 pictures...I can use the "Library pictures" to view all...or go to my "user name" picture folder to look at the latest pictures

And yes I can load the 5300 thumbnails{arranged by day}...but once in a while it wants to rebuild them or something and takes a while to load the library view..but its usually not a problem.

Never have fully trusted all my stuff to backup software..so have always just used copy and paste
Account Disabled with 44,931 posts.

30-Mar-2011, 06:59 AM #9
Morning Brett

Quote:
Never have fully trusted all my stuff to backup software....
I periodically try out a newly recommended backup app.....but I know what you mean. I have seen a popular backup app fail and write empty folders. So I don't use it anymore
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Mar-2011, 08:10 AM #10
I don't think it was mentioned but for more extensive backup needs, a good backup program will do all the sorting and "remembering" for me and just backup the files that have changed, not the whole kit'n'kaboodle each time that a copy and paste would require. That and the fact that it works automatically (again the remembering thing) and in the background.
Its not always perfect though, time change seems to upset the apple cart and then I notice that its taking hours and hours to make a backup because the program is copying every single file over because the time stamp doesn't match.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,388 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Mar-2011, 10:22 AM #11
I use a Full backup program (True Image) to do a system back up. But I use Windows Explorer using the Click and Drag to the target drive to also back up certain files and folders.

You will find that on large folders the "Copy and Paste" will have to do a lot of work. It must be copies to the RAM and/or the system temp area and then copied to the target device.
Account Disabled with 16,918 posts.

30-Mar-2011, 04:21 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
Morning Brett

I periodically try out a newly recommended backup app.....but I know what you mean. I have seen a popular backup app fail and write empty folders. So I don't use it anymore
One should never run out of space that way
jesseyoung jesseyoung is offline jesseyoung has a Profile Picture
Member with 216 posts.

Experience: get the bottom of matters
01-Apr-2011, 06:05 AM #13
Hi,
Actually i had ever been confused with the question that the "Copy and Paste" to get the copy of the files, so we don't need to use the backup tool. Exactly, the "Copy and Paste" will help us to do a lot of work in every-day life. But if we have a tool specially for our backup,especially data security, i think the tool is necessary, such as EASEUS Todo backup new version and so on.

Last edited by jesseyoung; 01-Apr-2011 at 06:12 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!