Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Uninstalling Programs stops internet from working

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Beginner
10-Apr-2011, 04:21 PM #1
Uninstalling Programs stops internet from working
I tried uninstalling a few programs from my computer, IMVU & Webroot Internet Security Essentials because it had expired & I was switching to Avira but after uninstalling them my internet stopped working. I had no network whatsoever. I did a system restore & everything returned. Those programs are now back in my Control Panel but I cannot uninstall them. It says they File:blahblahblah does not exist. Cannot uninstall. So I tried uninstalling other programs that weren't important and they cause my internet driver to be uninstalled too. So I have to do a system restore to get my internet back. I'm using the Control Panel to uninstall them I've never had a problem before. Every time I reboot an installation error for Webroot pops. I tried to reinstall Webroot to see if that would help but I can't cause I don't have a current keycode. Thanks for any help someone can provide.

Not sure if this is needed but that's my system info.
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3069 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 104009 MB; J: Total - 238472 MB, Free - 38370 MB;
Motherboard: Intel Corporation, D945GCF, AAD73937-204, BQCF7090037F
Antivirus: Webroot Internet Security Essentials, Disabled
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

10-Apr-2011, 05:40 PM #2
A program that filters incoming network traffic for threats installs a driver that is then required for connectivity. Check the website of the program developer for details on how to remove the programs and their drivers.

System Restore only restores the "system", which means the registry and primarily Windows files. It cannot undo an uninstallation, even if the previous registry restored still has the program listed as installed.

It would probably be better to undo the restore that you did and try rebuilding the Winsock and TCP/IP. Open a command prompt.

Reset winsock:

netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reset TCP/IP:

netsh int ip reset reset.log

------------------------------------------------------

Once you are back in the state where you have uninstalled Webroot, run Autoruns. Search for anything related to it and delete it. In some cases, you may have to use the "Jump" context command to go to the registry to disable the loading of an item.
Computer Specs

10-Apr-2011, 06:49 PM #3
I can't undo that system restore. There's been too many. I went to webroot and downloaded their clean uninstaller and now I can't connect to internet even after a system restore. The restore has problems it says. I'm on my phone's internet.
Computer Specs

10-Apr-2011, 06:55 PM #4
Did you use the commands posted and reboot?

You can restore an image of your system from when it worked right if you have one, reinstall Windows, or try to fix this. But with all the restores, it may not be possible at this point.

When you first restored, a new point was created of the system the way it was at that point so that you can undo the restore. I don't know what you mean by "too many".
Computer Specs

10-Apr-2011, 11:27 PM #5
I apologize for not saying thank you for replying in my previous post.. I'm rather slow with most computer problems.
I meant its been more than 5 days since that system restore so I cannot undue it.
I open command prompt and I type in
netsh ipv4 reset reset.log
and the other one but it said failed and requires elevation and no user specified settings to be reset. Did I do it wrong? When I type in netsh ip reset reset.log
it says the following command was not found. I probably did that wrong too.

Last edited by Khunnie; 10-Apr-2011 at 11:35 PM..
jesseyoung jesseyoung is offline jesseyoung has a Profile Picture
Member with 216 posts.

Experience: get the bottom of matters
11-Apr-2011, 03:14 AM #6
Hey, when you reset IP command, you input wrong command,it should be "netsh int ip reset reset.log" so the system can find it.
Now whether you have cleaned the anti-virus SW completely with something? Maybe the redundant anti drive stop the network card from receiving IP.
In addition, you can go to "start" -> "run", then input"cmd", enter ipconfig /all to check the details.
Computer Specs

11-Apr-2011, 03:47 AM #7
It needs to be an administrative command prompt. Are you running as administrator? Does the command window say that it is administrative in the title bar?

You should pick an antivirus and stick with it. Though all programs should be uninstallable, due to the low level at which AV's operate, they can sometimes be difficult to remove, and I have often suspected that the makers even expect that they will never be removed once installed.
Computer Specs

11-Apr-2011, 08:39 AM #8
It says users\owner. There's only one account and it says I'm administer under User Accounts.
That's lame. Webroot makes their software so expensive. They should really make that clear when you install it. ..and before you "try" to uninstall. Why even have uninstall.

I ran up ipconfig/all .... It has a No for IP Routing Enabled. and No for WINS Proxy Enabled.
Computer Specs

11-Apr-2011, 02:03 PM #9
Can I use my Restore disc & reinstall my OS, drivers & programs? Or will that not fix it? Or is it too extreme? .....
jesseyoung jesseyoung is offline jesseyoung has a Profile Picture
Member with 216 posts.

Experience: get the bottom of matters
11-Apr-2011, 08:57 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khunnie View Post
Can I use my Restore disc & reinstall my OS, drivers & programs? Or will that not fix it? Or is it too extreme? .....
Hi, generally reinstalling the OS and the drivers can help you solve the problem. If you don't have any method, just have a try. Before that, you should back up yout important data just in case.Good luck!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!