Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Need Repair/Fix advice & information

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

15-May-2011, 12:08 PM #1
Need Repair/Fix advice & information
Ok, for starters, I'm not technologically stupid, but some things I have just never learned about computers and how they perform some functions (or rather, what software is responsible for specific functions.)

I guess the easiest way is to just describe the scenario, and exactly how I got to where I am.

My computer was running Windows XP. My Windows XP disk at some point ended up in the Microsoft Office sleeve that has the CD Key printed on it, thus I do not have my correct product key for Windows XP, but did not know it at the time.

My computer USB drivers were having some issues, especially with connecting certain peripherals and recognizing some devices such as my Microsoft Zune. One day, I came home, and my wife told me the computer wasn't working anymore. I asked her what happened, and she said she saw some things pop up on the screen, and that she thought she was clicking away from some items. She said she wasn't sure, but thought she deleted something.

After trying to use my computer, I couldn't even get it to recognize my keyboard or mouse through the usb ports. Solution? I went to the local computer repair store and bought the adapter for usb peripherals to be used on older ports/devices (the green/teal colored plug adapter).

Went home, and pluged the keyboard into the adapter, and then pluged said adapter into computer. Bingo! I now had my keyboard working, but no mouse (only one port for this adapter in computer). So now, I need to toubleshoot everything and find out what's wrong with my usb drivers. After reviewing with a few coworkers, it was suggested that it may be a software issue with some base drivers, and that apparently one possibility was reinstalling the XP OS to get some base drivers updated or corrected. So, went home, put in the XP disk, began to reinstall the OS, and then found that, TADA! Wrong product key. Went through a big long fun time with Microsoft on the phone, I get it, no way am I getting a replacement key for my product, no argument here.

So basically, I am trying to determine what steps to go through to either repair my computer, or kiss it goodbye. It was purchased off of Ebay from LY Computers (I belive this is the vendor/website name that sells through ebay), and was approximately $340 back when I bought it. I think I may have some of the additional software boot disks that came with the computer somewhere, but when pricing the repair on a quote from Geek Squad @ Best Buy, they basically estimated the OS and Repairs at roughly $500-$600, obviously, I would have to be a moron to spend $500 on a computer that probably cost me $440 after buying the XP to install, so it has sat for about 6 months now. I really am feeling a need for that computer to work, or to replace it at this point.

So my options are, find a way (a sure way, with all the knowledge) to repair the computer, that will result in less than the net cost of a brand new, and equal in quality computer.

Or, Determine what parts of my computer I might be able to transfer to a new computer (barebones or not), to reduce the price of replacing said computer. I am unsure if a hard drive can just be pulled from one computer and added to another without a problem, especially with custom computers, and what other devices within are easily transferable to save on price. Any advice?
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

15-May-2011, 12:17 PM #2
Does the computer still boot into Windows XP at all? You could have recovered the key before you tried to reinstall.

If not, the only cheap option is to try to find a full, legal copy of Windows XP some place that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

15-May-2011, 12:20 PM #3
Pretty sure any operational trace of XP is gone. I understand that I am going to have to shell out for new OS software, and that is nothing intimidating to me. Probably would end up buying Windows 7, but I am not sure whether that would be the solution to my problems, or if there is more work to be done than just installing Windows 7, and my USB ports working again like new.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

15-May-2011, 12:24 PM #4
From your post, there's nothing physically wrong with the USB ports. The problem is that your wife may have deleted system files. Everything would probably work just fine with a repair or reinstall of Windows XP.

Whether or not Windows 7 will work depends on the hardware specs and the availability of Windows 7 drivers for the system. You need to check into that first before buying a copy of Windows 7 which will run you at least $180.

Weigh the cost of a full retail copy of Windows 7 against the cost of a new system. If the computer is more than a few years old, it may not be worth it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
operating system, repair, software, usb drivers, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!