Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

The Weather Channel Desktop (free) won't install

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 391 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-May-2011, 07:19 PM #1
The Weather Channel Desktop (free) won't install
I am running Windows XP with a computer that meets the requirements listed by The Weather Channel for its free Desktop. I have installed that software successfully on my laptop which runs Windows XP, but I cannot seem to install it on my desktop PC.

The installation seems to run successfully until the point where I am to enter my personal info, location, gender, etc. When I try to type the information required, the dialog box does not show entries. Further, the system freezes and I have to go to CNTL ALT DELETE to end the installation.

No real help is available through TWC's website. It suggests removing my firewall, which I have tried. It suggests clearing my cookies and temp files, but I know my system is not messed up.

Can anyone suggest why I cannot install this software?

By the way, I accept the license agreement, but I decline the toolbar and other offers.
Computer Specs
Member with 391 posts.

29-May-2011, 11:55 PM #2
I have decided to place this on another forum. Thanks, folks!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,350 posts.

30-May-2011, 07:25 PM #3
Sometimes there are "glitches" and sometimes (even small) files get corrupted during a download. I suggest you uninstall it (if it appears in Add/Remove Programs) and download and try the install again.

(I wasn't holding out on you earlier when I closed your other thread; this suggestion just didn't occur to me until now.)
Computer Specs
Member with 391 posts.

30-May-2011, 07:31 PM #4
I did not think you were "holding out".
I had already tried removing, restarting and re-downloading. I suspect that I may be missing a dll file or something similar that this software expects to find in my system. That has happened to me in the past with other software implementations. If that is the case, I would need to know the file that is missing or malfunctioning and where to obtain a good copy.

Thanks for your suggestion.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
desktop, installation, twc

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!