Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Android Phones and Tablets Android Phones and Tablets
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

Question: Why not a WindowsPhone7?

(!)

View Poll Results: Why did you not like about WP7
Limited available Apps 2 33.33%
Not compatible with Android or iPhone apps 2 33.33%
Don't want a Microsoft OS Phone device 1 16.67%
Don't like any of the hardware designs, including the Lumia 1 16.67%
Missing or broken funtions in WP7. 0 0%
Don't like the technical specs of WP7 devices 2 33.33%
Don't like the metro interface of WP7. Give me icons! 1 16.67%
WindowsPhone 8 is around the corner, I'm waiting for that! 3 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Jul-2012, 05:39 PM #1
Question: Why not a WindowsPhone7?
This is a curiosity question I would like to ask everyone who has bought a new Android phone over a WP7 and especially the Lumia900 which was released back in April. Samsung and LG has had such devices for almost two years.

"Why did you NOT get a WindowsPhone7 device?"

What it the lack of apps? Didn't like the Metro Interface? Is it because it's a Microsoft product (and/or you've had a bad experience), Missing features that Android has. Didn't like the Lumia design. Costs too much? Hardware Specifications?
Are you waiting for WP8 to come out?

I'll try the poll thing, but by all means, include your actual input. Especially if you tried or had a WP7 device.

* I do not work for MS or any phone company.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

24-Jul-2012, 05:51 PM #2
Personally, I have been looking forward to getting a WP7 - but like many of us in the USA, we are on a 2-year contract phone, which is when we can get our free or reduced-rate upgrade phones. My 2 year old Android Galaxy phone is finally up for replacement.

I really wanted the Lumia 800, it looks a bit better, its smaller and its the same exact guts as the Lumia900. I think they look great. But how MS is handling WP7~8 was a turn off for me, I also need to do an upgrade now... not 3~4 months from now. I also don't know how well Nokia is going to do next year.

The flexibility of Android with choices of handsets and its OS is keeping me with Android, even thou I've not been completely happy with Android 2.1~2.3. I'm actually running a WP7 type interface called Launcher7 on my phone which does a few cool tricks that Microsoft doesn't do with WP7.x~8.0 while keeping the Android compatibility.
Account Disabled with 16,918 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 01:24 AM #3
Android has come along ways...as well as endless apps being available.
IMO Android is more flexible at this time than windows....but then there are some people that have to have a windows phone due to a specific application.
I took the plunge several weeks ago as I felt android had matured enough....I am very happy ecxept
...... the phone part of the phone ,to many moves to get to where you want to be and I would prefer hard keys rather than touch for the immediate menus on the phone..One reason I have been down on some smart phones in the past...not very user friendly doing 75 mph down the highway.
If you do go android get Ice cream sandwich {I think jelly bean will be here soon as well}and as a large a screen as you can afford balanced with durability as they do break while their little brothers can be fairly durable.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

31-Jul-2012, 09:19 PM #4
True about the extra steps to dial. On my Sony feature phone, its two quick buttons to my alarm. To dial, I slide it open and start dialing, press dial. Contacts, press DOWN on the cursor pad, select my contact, press green dial button.

But in other functions, a touch screen phone excels. Take contacts for example, you'll be pressing DOWN DOWN DOWN, etc until you get to your contact. On my Android, I press contacts and a swipe can have me flying down the list quickly.

Texting: killer on the smart phone... but I use Android's voice recorder more than half the time. Sending attachments, text entry and management is better.

I do wish there were some basic physical keys, but that is rare to find and that is just the menu/nav keys.

The swipe to unlock is needed because it is a touch phone and helps to prevent butt-dialing, which I've done many times on regular phones.

I can never go back to a basic phone.

I wish more people would vote on this... I'm curious why others choose their phones.

02-Aug-2012, 11:14 AM #5
I am curious as well, both have thier pros and cons, it wasn't an easy decision for me, the decision was made easier however as my carrier had a very narrow choice of windows phones with smaller screens
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

03-Aug-2012, 03:38 AM #6
Had the phones come out earlier or the specs at where I want them as well as before I tried out Windows8... I've decided to not go Microsoft for the future. Apple's patent trolls is a huge turn off, so no phone from them.

WP being under 2% - failure. I'm not seeing how MS is going to energize anyone into WP8 much. The Lumia900 selling for $50 makes it a fine deal - cheaper than feature phones Oh, found out about a stupid function of WP7 from my CellPhone store. If you press the power/VOL and shutter buttons at the same time (they are on the same side) - it will factory reset the phone. All data, gone. A Guy found that out by accident... in a bad way. A little bit of thought should be put into it "Do you really want to do this? Y/N"

I've finally had the chance to play with a Samsung Galaxy 3 next to a MC-Atrix HD. They are both very good phones, but I don't do cases and I like the feel of the Atix HD. Its somewhat old-school, but I like it. Here is a good preview article about it: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6094/m...iew-99-monster

Last edited by Compiler; 03-Aug-2012 at 07:45 AM..

04-Aug-2012, 12:06 AM #7
I am a Motorola boy here but would jump all over the Samsung g3 in this case....much larger screen and has ice cream sandwich...a much higher end OS.
4 inch verses 4.8 inches is major as the square rule applies in relation to square inches..thus the screen is actually 44 percent larger..this is major especially when you go to hit those little touch keys while the phone is held straight up and down.
You will be able to do it on the larger one but not the smaller one...also browsing will be much more enjoyable as you wont have to zoom as much thus get to see a much larger area of the actual webpage as well.
Also you will able to hit those small text links easier while zoomed in the same amount as the smaller phone.

However it is a delicate phone compared to smaller phones...when a phone falls and hits it can either cause a torsional twist,breaking the glass or simply impact the corner and break..

Many people like the preloaded software and touchwiz interface of the samsungs in general..they are a little more user friendly...just something to consider.

However the android market is huge and you can fix up that motorola to make it friendlier.
I had gotten a samsung recently but took it back 6 days later...reason being it didnt wouldnt hold a tower that great.
I had to use my passengers Motorola to make a call about 90 miles from home....so the samsung had to go,it had a dead zone for about 5 miles of road while the Motorola never lost service.

The motorola I got has a slightly brighter screen,better sound,better service,better feel in my hand, a faster charger,brighter flash although I did like the camera better on the samsung...It was a mesmerize which is a galaxy s1 i believe,now the s2 is highly praised in general and has a pretty good track record.

I have the Motorola electrify..which is a Motorola photon...nice phone I do wish it was larger though but thats the largest my carrier had in Motorola--- 4.3 inch screen.

On to cases...a necessary evil if you drop a 700 dollar phone..and you will drop it..they are designed as such...those smooth beveled edges are not for looks.
They are easier to use with a case as well as you have a little rubber hitting your hand while using the keyboard when the phone is sideways....can be easier to dig out or your pocket due to the cutout for the lens and flash hook a finger in and pull.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

06-Aug-2012, 06:30 AM #8
Not sure where you got the idea the Atrix HD was a 4" screen. Pretty much nobody is making a phone that small. I do like for them to fit in the pocket.

This is the Atrix HD, just came out - not the older Atrix.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6084/m...-hd-lcd-on-att
It has a 4.5" screen vs 4.8 of the SGS3 or 4.7 on the HTC One X
They are all 1280x720 - which also means the MC has a slightly higher dot pitch.
All three run Android 4.0 (ICS)

So currently, its the top of the line Motorola and all Atrix models are at&t. Here are specs from the maker: http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers...,en_US,pd.html
I do wish it included a camera shutter button Oddly, the Motorola Electrify 2 is in the same shape and style as the Atrix, but smaller everything. (4.3" screen).

official gallery: http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers...=mobile-phones
Notice on the side, it seems to have speckles (side view / white phone - the black stripe) - its the same texture as old-school IBM - typewriters / computers. I wonder if its made out of metal.

I've still only played with the dummy version. Due to some bills, I haven't made my upgrade yet and I still want to see the extended review from the site I told you about. Tell you one thing, the phone feels good, no finger prints. While the Galaxy3 - brand new out of the box, was instant finger smudges. Who likes that crap?! a textured back feels better and gives it some grip.

Also, considering that google now OWNS Motorola Mobility... I would expect updates and standard specifications with their phones. Hmmm... they have tablets too. Its a bit amazing that Google is not very vocal about owning Motorola Mobility... my guess, they are going to keep it things cool so their partners are happy.

06-Aug-2012, 08:14 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compiler View Post
Not sure where you got the idea the Atrix HD was a 4" screen. Pretty much nobody is making a phone that small. I do like for them to fit in the pocket.

This is the Atrix HD, just came out - not the older Atrix.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6084/m...-hd-lcd-on-att
It has a 4.5" screen vs 4.8 of the SGS3 or 4.7 on the HTC One X
They are all 1280x720 - which also means the MC has a slightly higher dot pitch.
All three run Android 4.0 (ICS)

So currently, its the top of the line Motorola and all Atrix models are at&t. Here are specs from the maker: http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers...,en_US,pd.html
I do wish it included a camera shutter button Oddly, the Motorola Electrify 2 is in the same shape and style as the Atrix, but smaller everything. (4.3" screen).

official gallery: http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers...=mobile-phones
Notice on the side, it seems to have speckles (side view / white phone - the black stripe) - its the same texture as old-school IBM - typewriters / computers. I wonder if its made out of metal.

I've still only played with the dummy version. Due to some bills, I haven't made my upgrade yet and I still want to see the extended review from the site I told you about. Tell you one thing, the phone feels good, no finger prints. While the Galaxy3 - brand new out of the box, was instant finger smudges. Who likes that crap?! a textured back feels better and gives it some grip.

Also, considering that google now OWNS Motorola Mobility... I would expect updates and standard specifications with their phones. Hmmm... they have tablets too. Its a bit amazing that Google is not very vocal about owning Motorola Mobility... my guess, they are going to keep it things cool so their partners are happy.
Quote:
From here http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers...=mobile-phones

Size
63.5 x 117.75 x 10.95 mm

Display size
4.0-in.; qHD (960 x 540)

Weight
135 grams

Display type
Corning® Gorilla® Glass

Materials and finish
Vacuum metalized housing

it does appear to be an earlier generation phone..I wasnt aware of the next generation phone being out.

This changes everything from my earlier position as now the Motorola is much larger as when I wrote that post.

The Samsung screen is now only 14 percent larger....People have complained of the screen being fragile(on the new galaxy)...Dont know about the new Motorola atrix with the 4.5 inch though...there are some Motorolas out there with delicate screens as well..I dont know if the phone you are considering is one of them.,,I would do a little research on it beforehand.

With these larger phones/on some of them they use a thinner and supposed stronger glass to reduce weight...however in the field they are breaking under minor mishaps.

Torsional flexes in the pocket in part for some of the complaints for large phones...My Motorola has has a very sturdy feel..is metal minus the back of course so it wont suffer from torsional twists as bad...its not a super thin phone and is heavy for its size. 4.3...IMO it would have a chance during a drop onto a hard surface as the body wouldn't twist

Gone are the days of small rugged entry line phones that were quite durable...I had an lg flip that took a 15 foot fall to the concrete..the back came off and battery flew out...I put it back together with no harm done...it was a plastic phone with small screens is why it survived.

I did look at a large htc today while killing time for a tire repair at walmarts..felt sturdy,looked good and didnt butterfinger out of the hand as it wasnt a 'super smooth finish' with cursed bevels.

But anyway if its down to the Motorola or Samsung ..I would pick the Motorola due to the screen size being much larger than originally thought and the new galaxy s3 is already known for being fragile and hard to hold onto{without a case}..not a good combo.

06-Aug-2012, 08:35 PM #10
From the Motorola forum there dont appear to be any hardware complaints on the phone you are interested in.

https://forums.motorola.com/hives/7b7256320a/summary
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

10-Aug-2012, 01:19 PM #11
Atrix 4G is old. Atrix HD is new.... see the difference? I even provided a direct link to the manufacture...
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

10-Aug-2012, 03:26 PM #12
The only thing that reviewers are giving the Atrix HD bad points on are the camera and lack of NFC. NFC isn't a big deal to me at this moment... even thou my business partner just bought the Galaxy S3... the camera irks me a little bit. There is some question about "will" MC release 4.1 "Jellybean" for the Atrix - but considering that google owns Motorola mobility - it should be updated sooner rather than never.

The camera on my current Galaxy S1 is crap anyway, no flash. The samples I saw didn't look bad... not as good, but I never expect much from a phone. Thats why I have real cameras for. Its HD Video is better. The reception is top notch and the sound quality is very good.

But I really want to see the review from Anandtech as they are pretty detailed on their reviews and have standards which I can understand. The more cnet type sites tend to suck up to everything.

10-Aug-2012, 05:30 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compiler View Post
Atrix 4G is old. Atrix HD is new.... see the difference? I even provided a direct link to the manufacture...
That has already been established and confirmed by myself..the direct link was after my initial post..thus why my followup post Now go get it already before something else comes out and you have to repeat the cycle of "what do I go get?"
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

13-Aug-2012, 11:56 PM #14
You're right... sorry... I kind of read it wrong.

14-Aug-2012, 12:43 AM #15
No problem the text tends to all run together after a while. Also I do remember reading later in the link that the Motorola in question comes with original Gorilla glass so a delicate screen shouldn't be an issue
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!