Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Apple Mac Apple Mac
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Strange Error when downloading a file

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 35 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-May-2012, 03:40 PM #1
Strange Error when downloading a file
While I was attempting to download Python, I experienced the following error message several times.

[Safari could not download the file “file name” because there is not enough free disk space.

Try deleting documents or downloading to another disk.
]

The download made it halfway before this message was initiated. Could this possibly be some kind of Safari specific issue? I can't imagine it being a true reflection of my Mac not having enough space, since I have over 250 GB available.

I was able to re-download the file without incident. But this happened at least once on each single file that I tried to download

The specifics of my set up are as follows:
- Safari version 5.1.5 (7534.55.3)
- MacBook Pro 15 inch; 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7; 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR 3 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB; 750 GB SATA Disk - 263.79 GB free
- OSX 10.7.3
- Internet access is via hardwire and or Wi-Fi at a hotel. The bandwidth is very slow at times.
Attached Thumbnails
Strange Error when downloading a file-263-gb-available.jpg  

Last edited by mister2; 06-May-2012 at 08:05 PM..
Member with 2,236 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-May-2012, 06:39 PM #2
Check your Safari preferences and make sure the download location isn't set to a mounted disk image or something like that.
Computer Specs
Member with 35 posts.

06-May-2012, 07:46 PM #3
Thanks for the suggestion. I have Safari default it to download to the downloads folder on the main hard drive, or if selected, to download to a location that I choose.

Both of the initial python files were partially downloaded in that main download folder when the error message happened.

I shall continue to scour the Internet to see if I can find someone who has experienced the same situation.
Member with 2,236 posts.

06-May-2012, 08:04 PM #4
Maybe using Disk Utility and running a repair disk might be in order.
Computer Specs
Member with 35 posts.

06-May-2012, 08:14 PM #5
I just tried that, good idea but again no joy.

I was just thinking, what if it's not on my end? What if the file had misleading information in the header that suggested that it was larger than it really was? I don't know how that would be possible, but if for some reason there was an error on the other end and it sent out information that my computer understood as the file being larger than 260 GB, then maybe it would trigger that error.

I'm just shooting in the dark here, as we all know there are a vast myriad of possible items that could be the cause in any computing related issue.

Thanks for taking an interest in trying to help me understand why this is happening.
Attached Thumbnails
Strange Error when downloading a file-screen-shot-2012-05-06  
Member with 2,236 posts.

06-May-2012, 08:58 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2 View Post
I just tried that, good idea but again no joy.

I was just thinking, what if it's not on my end? What if the file had misleading information in the header that suggested that it was larger than it really was? I don't know how that would be possible, but if for some reason there was an error on the other end and it sent out information that my computer understood as the file being larger than 260 GB, then maybe it would trigger that error.

I'm just shooting in the dark here, as we all know there are a vast myriad of possible items that could be the cause in any computing related issue.

Thanks for taking an interest in trying to help me understand why this is happening.
I doubt it would be header information as it shouldn't start then.

By chance are using using FileVault?
Computer Specs
Member with 35 posts.

06-May-2012, 09:44 PM #7
FileVault?

Yes I am. I have it set up to encrypt my entire hard drive so that when my machine is off and I am traveling, if it gets stolen I have at least some level of assurance that prying eyes will not be able to get into my system.

Do you think it could be something like that?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!