Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Apple Mac Apple Mac
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Can't open documents needing adobe reader

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 69 posts.

Experience: Beginner
07-May-2012, 06:04 PM #1
Red face Solved: Can't open documents needing adobe reader
I have just got a new iMac 5 and transferred all my stuff from old mac to the new one, I can't open any documents on new one that I have saved from the old computer message shows :'You can't open the application (name of application) because Power PC applications are no longer supported.' This even comes up when I downloaded the user manual yesterday for Numbers which I have bought, I saved it and the same message comes up for it. Do I go ahead and install latest Adobe reader or are there still problems with this software? Is there any other software I could use to do same thing?
Thanks
Member with 2,198 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-May-2012, 06:29 PM #2
When you copied over your files did you use Migration Assistant?

If yes, did you also copy the Applications?

If yes, your new iMac is an Intel model and your old apps might have PPC versions and hence you will need to re-install those apps.

Not sure what you are saying about the Numbers manual. Isn't that a PDF file or is it a Numbers file?
If it's a PDF, the built in preview app should work fine and works well.
If it's a Numbers file, you obviously need the Intel version of Numbers installed.
Computer Specs
Member with 69 posts.

07-May-2012, 07:05 PM #3
Yes I did use Migration Assistant. No I did not copy the Application.(didn't know you had to)..How do I do it now?? Numbers file is PDF I can open it okay but I can't open the copy I saved on external hard drive or in documents, have to go straight to web to get it again.
Member with 2,198 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-May-2012, 06:06 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs1 View Post
Numbers file is PDF I can open it okay but I can't open the copy I saved on external hard drive or in documents, have to go straight to web to get it again.
Are you sure it was saved as a PDF?

If you manually add the extension .pdf, do you get a dialog window popping up saying it already had a different extension?
Computer Specs
Member with 69 posts.

08-May-2012, 07:24 AM #5
It's all working now I can open it once I dragged it to the desktop!!
Thank you for the help and your patience.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!