Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Apple Mac Apple Mac
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: printer/scan problem

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 74 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-May-2012, 01:18 AM #1
Solved: printer/scan problem
Hi,
I have just connected my old printer/scanner 'Canon Pixma MP150' it is 5 years old and was connected to my old power mac i5. It shows up and is acknowledged by my new iMac, how do I get it to scan and not print, I want to copy some photos and send to iPhoto, I used to be able to do this when it was connected to old mac. I can't instal the cd that came with it as message says unable to open application as Power PC applications no longer supported. Any suggestions other than buy a new one as I already have a HP 309photosmart printer/scanner/fax but would like to be able to still use this canon??

Many thanks
allnodcoms   (Danny) allnodcoms is offline allnodcoms has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 611 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-May-2012, 05:22 AM #2
Hi Babs,

Plug your printer in and switch it on. Now go to 'Apple Menu -> System Preferences', second row down (Hardware) should contain a 'Print & Scan' button... Click on it. To the left of this page should be a list of printers and scanners, if your printer is in there, click on it. You should (hopefully) have two tabs to the right, Print and Scan - if you do, click scan and a button will appear that says: "Open Scanner...". Click on it...
Now look in the Dock, there should be a printer app down there. Right click on it and select 'Options -> Keep in Dock' (or just drag it to where you want it to be in the Dock and it will stay there). That's a shortcut to your printer...

If none of the this happens, your printer is not in System Prefs or you don't get a scan button and so on, get back to us and we'll see if we can sort something out...

Danny
Computer Specs
Member with 74 posts.

19-May-2012, 07:41 AM #3
Hi Danny, No Scan button only print, in the System Preference list it has print & Fax, when I click on this it only has a print button no scan (the hardware is a scanner as well as printer.)

Babs
Computer Specs
Member with 611 posts.

19-May-2012, 08:42 AM #4
OK Babs, no problem... Just drop by here and hit the "Accept & Download" button - It's the latest OS X (up to Lion) version of the Scanner drivers for the MP150. Install this, give the above a go again and let me know how you get on.

Good Luck

Danny
Member with 2,265 posts.

19-May-2012, 04:22 PM #5
To access the scanning, either use the included software you download (if they include custom software), or better yet, access the scanner through /Applications/Image Capture or directly in the import section of applications that support scanning.
Computer Specs
Member with 611 posts.

19-May-2012, 05:15 PM #6
She has no drivers for the scanner Headrush, that won't work - hence the link above...

Danny
Member with 2,265 posts.

19-May-2012, 05:49 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnodcoms View Post
She has no drivers for the scanner Headrush, that won't work - hence the link above...

Danny
I was referring to after he/she installed the drivers as you stated.

A lot of time the proprietary software isn't so good and using the built in Image Capture is simpler and easier.
Computer Specs
Member with 74 posts.

20-May-2012, 05:56 PM #8
Hi Guys,
Downloaded from the site you suggested Danny. I can now scan via Image Capture, only problem is they are only thumbnail size , can't enlarge to normal photo size, I then send them to preview so I can get them onto iphoto library (long way around!!) Bought a new printer/scanner just a cheap one hoping it will work, only problem now is it won't work with my new mac which is the one I really want it to connect to its a HP Deskjet 3070A B611a only compatible to Lion 10.6 I have 10.7.4. Many thanks for your time helping with this.

Babs
Computer Specs
Member with 74 posts.

20-May-2012, 06:44 PM #9
Hi,

Just to say I have it working now thank you so much I was able to download an install of Navigator which I had on old mac but would not load onto new one with Lion but today it is now done.
Thanks very much.
Babs
Member with 2,265 posts.

20-May-2012, 08:49 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs1 View Post
only problem is they are only thumbnail size , can't enlarge to normal photo size
What dpi setting are you using?
Computer Specs
Member with 74 posts.

22-May-2012, 01:43 AM #11
Hi Danny,
checked the dpi....25!! so changed it to 300 and now its right size etc.

Many thanks for the help/

Babs
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!