Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Apple Mac Apple Mac
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Macbook boot problems

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2,914 posts.

Experience: Seasoned Professional
21-May-2012, 03:32 PM #1
Macbook boot problems
I have a Macbook that I "inherited" from a friend who needed the data recovered. This went smoothly, although the hard drive went south, and I'm thinking the motherboard may be on its way out as well.

I bought a new hard drive for it, and somehow I am able to boot Linux from CD, and it will let me install to the hard drive, however when I boot the laptop from the hard drive, all I get is a blank screen with a flashing folder icon on it with a question mark on it.

Not sure exactly what this means, but I think it's safe to assume it means that it can't boot of a non-Mac partition.

How can I get the Macbook to boot from the hard drive with a Linux partition on it, or how can I get a copy of OSX (legally) to install on this Macbook? The laptop is about 3-4 years old, Apple's site says it's from around 2009, and of course, out of warranty.

Can I just download a copy of the OS for a small fee from Apple? Or is there a "trick" to get the Mac to boot to Linux?
Member with 2,185 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-May-2012, 05:30 PM #2
Did you install a boot loader that works with EFI?

More info and help: http://refit.sourceforge.net/
Computer Specs
Member with 2,914 posts.

Experience: Seasoned Professional
21-May-2012, 06:38 PM #3
No, haven't done that... Will check that out.

Will it "ruin" a previous installation of Linux? or does it just adjust the partitions so this EFI thing boots first, then loads GRUB, which loads Linux?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!