Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Apple Mac Apple Mac
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: CCleaner and Thunderbird

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
17-Aug-2012, 05:51 AM #1
Solved: CCleaner and Thunderbird
This morning I ran Ccleaner on my MacBook Pro. Afterwards I tried to open Thunderbird (which had been working fine until this point) and got a message saying it wouldn't open because "PowerPC applications are no longer supported". What happened and how can I fix it?? Thanks!
Member with 2,163 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Aug-2012, 06:20 AM #2
Did you recently upgrade OS X to 10.7 or 10.8?

These versions no longer include an "emulator" that runs PowerPC applications which older Mac supported.
(Older Macs had this kind of CPUs)

You didn't post which version of Thunderbird you are running, but likely it's an older version. You can download a newer version on the Thunderbird web site which should run on the Intel CPUs now used in MAcs.
Member with 261 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 06:23 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTrina620 View Post
What happened and how can I fix it?? Thanks!
CCcleaner has wiped out the ThunderBird application files from your Mac. You need to reinstall ThunderBird.
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 06:24 AM #4
I did recently upgrade to OS X 7, but that was before I downloaded Thunderbird, so it was running fine on the OS X 7 up until using CCleaner this morning.

I'm not sure which version of Thunderbird it is (I'm at work and this was a problem on my home computer, so I can't check), however if I download the newest version, will it still use the email account/settings from the older one?
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 06:25 AM #5
TomPatrick: why would CCleaner wipe out these files? I use it occasionally and don't remember having problems with other applications afterwards?
Member with 261 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 06:38 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTrina620 View Post
TomPatrick: why would CCleaner wipe out these files? I use it occasionally and don't remember having problems with other applications afterwards?
Cleaning software like CCcleaners deletes universal binaries which are needed to run applications of PPC. On Intel based machines the software identifies PPC universal binary as junk and deletes them. So, you have to install thunderbird again.
Member with 2,163 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Aug-2012, 07:02 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompatrick View Post
Cleaning software like CCcleaners deletes universal binaries which are needed to run applications of PPC. On Intel based machines the software identifies PPC universal binary as junk and deletes them. So, you have to install thunderbird again.
I thought of this but it's curious that if she has an Intel Mac (which I assume she does), that the PowerPC part of the universal being removed, it should still run.

I wonder if CCleaner removed wrong bundle?

You are correct, a reinstall of Thunderbird should work.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!