Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Apple Mac Apple Mac
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: OpenOffice icon

(!)

Member with 2,157 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Dec-2012, 12:38 PM #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by livefortoday6491 View Post
Sorry cannot understand the following instructions:

When you post output if you can put them between code tags it would help.

To do that you put code before the lines, and /code after. Make sure those code words have square brackets around them.[ ] (I can't post complete sample as it will interpret as a code block.
So for output like from any Terminal command, you do this:

Quote:
When I command/click the icon in the dock it opens the folder the file is in and highlights the file name.
Yes that is what we wanted. The important part was the second half of the sentence: "What directory/folder is it in?"

If you hold the command key and click the title in the title bar of that Finder window, it will show you the full path.
livefortoday6491 livefortoday6491 is offline livefortoday6491 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 573 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Dec-2012, 01:22 PM #17
Smile OpenOffice icon
I am still baffled about Terminal commands
Member with 2,157 posts.

08-Dec-2012, 03:00 PM #18
Quote:
I am still baffled about Terminal commands
If you can provide more detail in your responses it would help.

You seem to be running the Terminal commands just fine. The issue is the output from them that you post is really hard to read because it looses the spacing used in Terminal.

The solution is to put those special code keywords around the output. If you look at the graphic I posted it's as simple as putting those two keywords around your output.
livefortoday6491 livefortoday6491 is offline livefortoday6491 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 573 posts.

08-Dec-2012, 04:04 PM #19
Okay I follow your comments now. So where do we go from now.
Member with 2,157 posts.

08-Dec-2012, 05:28 PM #20
Quote:
If you hold the command key and click the title in the title bar of that Finder window, it will show you the full path.
When you do that you should get something like this:

We need to verify that the OpenOffice icon in the Dock is referrring to the OpenOffice program installed in /Applications and not somewhere else.
Computer Specs
Member with 573 posts.

09-Dec-2012, 03:41 PM #21
Smile OpenOffice icon
Yes the path does lead to the folder containing the OpenOffice file the alias in the dock opens.
Member with 2,157 posts.

09-Dec-2012, 05:13 PM #22
Quote:
Yes the path does lead to the folder containing the OpenOffice file the alias in the dock opens.
Yes, it has to.

I need to know where that is exactly. Not all apps are installed in /Applications and hence trying to determine if the dock if referencing the proper location.
Computer Specs
Member with 573 posts.

10-Dec-2012, 08:42 AM #23
OpenOffice icon
This is the only way I can show you. See attached.
It reads Mac HD > Users > Home > Documents > Accounts > Accounts 2012 > Accounts December 2012.ods
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: OpenOffice icon-path.jpg  
Member with 2,157 posts.

10-Dec-2012, 07:42 PM #24
From that output, it looks like you have moved a reference to a specific file into the Dock, not the OpenOffice app.
(It's an OpenOffice document, so OpenOffice still will open)

1) Drag that icon out of the Dock. (It's not deleting the file, just removing the reference)
2) Open Finder, select Applications in the left side panel.
3) Now find OpenOffice icon in this folder, click and drag it into the Dock.

You now should have a proper Dock icon that launches OpenOffice.
Computer Specs
Member with 573 posts.

11-Dec-2012, 08:34 AM #25
Smile OpenOffice icon
That is okay but it was the alias icon, of the file, I use, that I put in the Dock which changes to a zip icon.
Member with 2,157 posts.

11-Dec-2012, 07:17 PM #26
Quote:
That is okay but it was the alias icon, of the file, I use, that I put in the Dock which changes to a zip icon.
I not exactly sure what you are saying.

You made an alias to that OpenOffice document (Accounts December 2012.ods), and dragged that into the Dock?

I understand the zip icon problem, but these intermediate steps, like knowing it isn't really the OpenOffice app that is in the Dock make a difference in trying to find the issue.

It sounds like there is a file association issue between OpenOffice document files and the unarchive utility.

If you go to this file in Finder: Mac HD > Users > Home > Documents > Accounts > Accounts 2012 > Accounts December 2012.ods
Right click or command click on the file and pick Get Info from the menu
Click the triangle next to Open With

What apps are listed?

On OS X 10.8 there is a pull down you need to select too see them all, your version of OS X may be slightly different.

Computer Specs
Member with 573 posts.

12-Dec-2012, 09:47 AM #27
Smile OpenOffice icon
I have changed to NeoOffice but on your suggestion but I still get the same problem. I have done as you ask and the drop down menu only displays NeoOffice.app and others....
Member with 2,157 posts.

12-Dec-2012, 07:41 PM #28
Quote:
I have changed to NeoOffice but on your suggestion but I still get the same problem. I have done as you ask and the drop down menu only displays NeoOffice.app and others....
So you dragged the new NeoOffice app icon into the dock, or you mean the old one is still a zip icon?

1) If you command click an openoffice file (.ods) and select open with, choose Neooffice and clock the always use option, does the icon change?

2) Can you create a new temporary user account and see if you can reproduce the same problem in that account.
Computer Specs
Member with 573 posts.

13-Dec-2012, 08:18 AM #29
Smile OpenOffice icon
No it does not change anything.
I tried another account name but it does not give me access to Documents so cannot test it.
Member with 2,157 posts.

13-Dec-2012, 07:53 PM #30
Quote:
No it does not change anything.
I tried another account name but it does not give me access to Documents so cannot test it.
So you are still linking directly to the document and not the application? Is this what you want?

Is this file on an external HD?

I just noticed this:
Quote:
Mac HD > Users > Home > Documents > Accounts > Accounts 2012 > Accounts December 2012.ods
Did you manually substitute Home for your username?

Last edited by Headrush; 14-Dec-2012 at 08:02 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!