Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Apple Mac Apple Mac
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Differences on Mac and Windows

(!)

Member with 89 posts.

Experience: Beginner
05-Jan-2005, 11:07 PM #1
Differences on Mac and Windows
Can someone school me on the differences between Macintosh and windows?
Senior Member with 309 posts.

Experience: Advanced with software; Intermediate with hardware
06-Jan-2005, 10:15 AM #2
Boy, you ask the simple ones, don't you?

Both are good machines. Some people prefer one to the other (wars have been started for less!). I work on both computers, and I'm a graphic designer and illustrator. I prefer the Macs for graphics because their hardware and software were designed around a graphic interface. Tasks that I do for my job seem smoother and work easier than the same tasks on a PC (even with their graphics interface). I have other friends who think the exact opposite.

I bought a Mac for home, eventhough there are PCs out there that are less expensive and the majority of users own PCs. I love the ease of use, and the graphics capabilities of Macs (and I've always been a bit of a rebel). Also, Macs seem to be easier to troubleshoot than PCs, because the interface is user friendly. Again, someone else will think the exact opposite!

All kinds of software is available for the Macs, including games, database, project management, Microsoft Office, utilities and Internet applications, etc. The only thing that might be problematic is if you need to use a statistics program, you might be better off with a PC because the PC world (from what I understand) has better statistics software. (I don't know if that's still accurate.)

So really, it becomes an issue of what do you want to do with a computer? If it's straightforward word processing, spreadsheets, etc., go with a PC. If you really want to rock on the graphics, go with a Mac.

And don't be surprised if you get LOTS of answers on this one...
Computer Specs
Member with 6,554 posts.

Experience: Fuzzy & Furry
06-Jan-2005, 10:20 AM #3
There are many differences, yet there are none.

However, since you mentioned being schooled, lets start at the beginning.

Chapter 1... both are nothing more than a device, a tool to help people compute, perform drawings, render images, create documents, play games, and so forth.

Chapter 2... Apple rules, Wintel eats dust.

End of lesson. Any questions?

Ok, seriously, your question kinda hinges on what applications and/or interests that you have for the machine. The main differences are based on the OS, how the machine as a total package is created, your perceptions of ease of use, support by the vendor, and the such.

Now for some more humour, since I believe laughter is the best teacher:
Macs are like Steak 'n Shake.
Windows is like McDonalds.

Macs are like classical music or classic rock 'n roll.
Windows is like teeny bopper pop music.

Macs are like a Porsche, Toyota, or Lexus.
Windows are the Chevy Cavalier.

Macs are steaks. Medium well. Perfectly marbled. Juicy.
Windows are bologna. Cold bologna.

Now, for some research head on over to the library and check out the following references - keep in mind that some may be older, but parts are still relevent:
http://www.sketchpad.net/filetypes.htm
http://www.apple.com/switch/
and
http://www.chicagotribune.com/techno...ck=1&cset=true

Hope that helps somewhat.

PS: oh, speed [depending upon the application, overall setup, etc.], security [depending upon the user's habits too], beauty, etc. are also other differences that some may want to consider.

06-Jan-2005, 10:22 AM #4
LOVED Chapter 2. Made me chuckle big-time!
Member with 89 posts.

06-Jan-2005, 07:20 PM #5
Yeah I got kinda hungry

Thanks for the info
Member with 182 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Jan-2005, 12:25 AM #6
There are a few differences.
1. They cost about three times more than PC's with the same specs.
2. The software selection is lacking compared to what is available for PC's.
3. They're easier to use.
4. They have slightly better security.
5. It's not completely owned by Bill Gates.

If you want to play games, get Windows. If you want an easier to use OS that costs more money than it should, get a Mac. Or, you could have the best of both worlds; have the gaming OS, and the most secure OS on one machine. Run a dual-boot between Windows and Linux.

There are plenty more differences, and plenty more reasons why you should, or shouldn't a Mac. But it's really preference and pocket size. You make the choice.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,554 posts.

07-Jan-2005, 01:15 AM #7
Maverick83 - thanks much for your points! But... but... but...
1. Sorry, don't agree there. Esp. when you utilize quality components. For example, my home-built PC cost me actually slightly more than what a Mac would have when I built it ~2.5 years ago - and that didn't included the bundled Apple software, etc. [also, please look at the last two links mentioned below]
2. Maybe so, to a small extent, but not as much as some would think. Mainly just in the selection of games and financial/statistical type software - vast majority of other applications are available to my knowledge.
3. True. But, since most people are more familiar w/ Windows, the switch to a Mac can be at times frustrating; ie: why does my mouse have only one button? where did the top-right close button go?
4. Again, true - esp. if use Apple's built-in browser, Safari, or even Firefox.
5. True, again, not yet!!!

To me, if you really wanna play games, get an X-box. Honestly, so friggin' frustrating to have compatibility probs w/ this game or that game on the PC...

Do like your suggestion of the dual Windows and Linux world.

More references to check out for this debate are:
http://www.jmusheneaux.com/6000.htm [altho' from July 1996, cool letter to an editor... ]
http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/22738.html [Nov '03 article that discusses the TOC of both platforms - w/o really declaring a clear winner, but pointing out relevent issues surrounding this fun debate ]
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4895 [for a one-person's trial to look at this debate]
http://www.ctpid.ufm.edu.gt/DellPCWi...valuation.html [for some silly university's silly attempt to justify their silly decision in some silly Central American country... ]

But, however, two of the better articles I've found are thus:
http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/36120.html
and
http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Bu...ght-36964.html

Again, hope the above helps some.
Member with 89 posts.

07-Jan-2005, 01:23 AM #8
It is very frustrating to use a mac but people tell me the security is better

How do you run a dual boot between windows and linux?
Computer Specs
Member with 6,554 posts.

07-Jan-2005, 01:29 AM #9
Oh, one more article is thus: http://homepage.mac.com/jpapola/iblo...56/E207536501/

Much detail, as the linuxinsider articles, but from a Mac person. No, not that is a bad thing, just maybe not as non-biased as the linux material... And, trust me, I really am trying to be honest w/ this too... hey, I did include that link to that silly Guatamealean university article, no?

07-Jan-2005, 10:00 AM #10
Re: Security Issues

This isn't always the case, but consider this (over and above purchasing virus protection software):

If someone wants to spread a virus to as many computers as possible, which operating system or application program do you think they'll target? The one with the most users.

There have been many times when viruses have hit my office and the PCs are down while the Macs continue to function. An exception to this is Microsoft application products, because some macro viruses are aimed at cross-platform application programs.

Still, we don't use Microsoft's email program(s) on our Macs either, and the Macs usually continue functioning when the PCs are down.

But, if you really want to stay with a PC because you prefer them, go ahead. Just be sure to get the appropriate virus protection software and configure it to update automatically.

Last edited by MSY-Houston; 07-Jan-2005 at 10:08 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 6,554 posts.

07-Jan-2005, 11:17 AM #11
MSY brings up a very good item, security. Here is some info related to that:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=335882
A Simple Guide To Macintosh Security
Macintosh security is built in, not added as an afterthought. The design of Mac's OS X made security a top priority and achieved it in many different ways. Larry Loeb gives you an update on some of the ways security has been implemented.

http://www.securemac.com/
Welcome to SecureMac.com, a site devoted to Apple Macintosh security and Mac OS X Security! Use the Side Bar to navigate the site, check this page frequently for updates and new security products for the Mac OS!

http://www.firewallguide.com/macintosh.htm
Our Macintosh Security Guide provides background information and includes personal firewall, anti-virus, privacy and security suite/family software.

More info/sites are available, but the above are a good starting point. As mentioned before, no system is 100% immune from malware However, what the user of the device does above and beyond the computer plays a very large role in its security.
Member with 182 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Jan-2005, 12:36 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejspin
It is very frustrating to use a mac but people tell me the security is better

How do you run a dual boot between windows and linux?
Well, Linux is often sharing hard drives with other OS's, so seting up a dual boot with Linux isn't hard, so just grab yourself a distro my man.
I would suggest Mandrake, Red Hat, SuSE, or MEPIS. Another user also suggested Ubuntu(Free shiping if you order the distro), Arch, and Ark.

Once you have a distro on CD, just put it in the CD drive, restart your computer, and it should boot right into installation settings. With Linux, you can partition your HD to make space for Linux(You need about 5 gigabytes). If you don't have a lot of RAM, make a large swap partition as well. If you have a lot of RAM, make a small one. A large swap partition is from 1-2GB, small is 256-512MB.
Linux should install either Lilo or Grub as a boot loader, enabling you to choose which OS you want to boot into.
Linux comes with more than enough programs to keep you running. Word proccessing, graphics creation, media players, and small games(like solitaire and minesweeper).
I have had a problem installing the bootloader for the 2004.06 MEPIS distro, but there are aperently ways around that.

If you want to learn about the security differences between Windows and Linux, go here.

Man, it felt weird posting that in a Mac forum.
Junior Member with 24 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Jan-2005, 01:15 PM #13
Short history of PC v Mac
Macs and PCs are both computers but with different histories. Primarily, the difference between the two is the Operating System and Processors.

Macs are based on the Unix operating system which was originally developed at Bell Labs (now part of Lucent) in the late 60s (1969 to 1971). The Unix OS was designed from the beginning to be a fault-tolerant, multi-threated and multi-task capable OS for AT&T (the original phone company) to run on its CO (central office phone switches) boxes (Do you remember the little red brick buildings in your neighborhoods? Those were the CO phone the neighborhood phone network). That's a SHORT history of UNIX.

From this original unix os general public license was developed, and unix evolved into the different major branches of unix: AT&T's Unix, IBM's AIX, HP's UX, SCO's version, and Sun's Solaris.

PCs developed a bit later from a combination of three companies who desired to bring computing to the masses. Microsoft, Intel and IBM. Ibm produced the first PC in 1981 with the OS by Microsoft (DOS), and the cpu by Intel.

Apple also came out popularly around this time but the Apple 2e series hit the market in 1983/4 - but it also ran DOS. Later versions evolved to run Apple's Unix OS.

In short, Macs ARE generally faster and stabler than celeron based home PCs. Macs are also A LOT more expensive than PCs, which is why can't outsell PCs.
Macs originally developed a closed standard of sales: PCs evolved into the OPEN-standards that we see today: Many brands of PCs, and white boxes (PC clones).

Apple refused to open its hardware standards like Intel, IBM. In fact, one of the earliest brands of PCs was Compaq.

Like I said the short history. However, John Dvorak (www.eweek.com) has written an excellent article about how he predicts the demise of Apple!
Computer Specs
Member with 6,554 posts.

07-Jan-2005, 04:00 PM #14
NJSteve... welcome to TSG, and esp. to this thread. Found your history mostly right on the mark, but... your assessment that "Macs are also A LOT more expensive than PCs, which is why can't outsell PCs" is, again, totally bogus. Please see the posts above yours here; and also maybe visit a few sites I've mentioned. Also, the part where you state that "Apple refused to open its hardware standards like Intel, IBM." is a tad misleading. Its more of a difference of philosophy, not that they "refused", as if that is some terrible negative aspect... its not. Apple more or less decided that they wanted to control both the hard and software - and by such, they've created, in many ways, a superiour overall product. But! I got the biggest laugh when you quote John Dvorak... PLEASE!!! :rooleyes: John is so anti-Apple it's sad. And to predict the demise of Apple is laughable to boot... Please don't let me think that you are just trolling on this subject. I would rather have some more honest and truthful debate and point-of-views on this subject, not BS spewed by the likes of Dvorak, etal. Thanks!
Member with 89 posts.

07-Jan-2005, 04:29 PM #15
So what I'm to understand is that, aside from the price, Apple is basically superior
And that security is better on the mac because the majority use PC's. So if Apple were to become the majority that would mean more viruses?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!