Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Apple Mac Apple Mac
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

reading .mht files

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

24-Feb-2005, 08:02 PM #1
reading .mht files
does anyone know how to read .mht files on an emac using os x operating system? any advice will be appreciated.
Senior Member with 309 posts.

Experience: Advanced with software; Intermediate with hardware
25-Feb-2005, 08:42 AM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfgallcrna
does anyone know how to read .mht files on an emac using os x operating system? any advice will be appreciated.
What is an mht file?
Computer Specs
Member with 6,554 posts.

Experience: Fuzzy & Furry
25-Feb-2005, 12:22 PM #3
Haven't ran across them either but have found that they are: "MHT files are an IE/Win thing, it saves a web page as a single document complete with all images. The format is a standard mime/multipart e-mail message, a mime decoding program should be able to turn it into something usable with your OS and browser of choice." Believe it stands for MIME HTML.

Found this info:
http://blogs.msdn.com/sbsdocsteam/ar...24/269407.aspx
http://www.extrade.net/TE/OpenMht.htm

Are you using Safari to surf, or something else like FireFox?

Try this too: http://blog.joecheng.com/
Quote:
UnMHTML: Read MHT files on a Mac
Sat Jan 29 2005 02:09 #
MHTML (or simply MHT, as it seems to be more commonly known) is a standard for storing multiple pieces of related web content in a single file. It's best known for its use in Microsoft Internet Explorer for Windows, which creates them when you elect to save a page as "Web archive, single file". More interesting to me, of course, is its use as the primary file format for Onfolio reports.

Until now it has been pretty difficult for Mac users to read MHT files, especially ones that contain multiple web pages. It surprised me that there are no MHT-decoding utilities for Mac, since MHTML is a fairly straightforward specialization of MIME--if you have access to a decent MIME parser, it's not too much work. (Update: According to this forum post, GraphicConverter will support MHT.)

Luckily, I find myself in possession of a Mac mini, a personal license to IntelliJ, and a quite capable little MIME parser. So I hacked together UnMHTML (click to download), a Mac OS X-packaged Java app that breaks MHT files down to their individual parts and attempts to fix up the references in the HTML accordingly.

It is basically "proof of concept" quality for now--there is almost no UI, and you are likely to see at least a couple of broken images for each MHT--but if anyone ends up using/needing it, I can make it better.
Also, this thread has some interesting answers: http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=28432
Junior Member with 2 posts.

26-Feb-2005, 07:16 PM #4
i've tried to download and save the .mht file on my hard drive so i can read it with "graphic converter" but i can't save it; if anyone want's to try the site is www.outmed.com/scna; will a program that emulates windows work? thanks.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Mar-2005, 04:43 AM #5
GC worked for me!
I was just having the same problem today with trying to find something to open a .mht. I was able to right-click on the .mht link and download it. It saved it as a .mht.html so i deleted the .html extention. Then i just dragged it to graphic converter and it opened fine.

(also a little hint if needed...you can drag links from the menu bar or anywhere else in safari... and drag them to the download window and they will automatically download)
Computer Specs
Member with 6,554 posts.

Experience: Fuzzy & Furry
09-Mar-2005, 09:28 AM #6
Quark108...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!