Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Apple Mac Apple Mac
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Disk stuck in computer

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: low intermediate
03-May-2007, 02:08 PM #1
Unhappy Disk stuck in computer
I inserted a CD of photos from the drug store. No image came up on the screen, like it does not exist there. And I can't get it out. Turning off machine does not help. It whirrs in there, but neither reads nor ejects. Help!!
Computer Specs
Member with 4,002 posts.

03-May-2007, 02:32 PM #2
stick the end of a paper clip in the tiny hole on the front of the drive and it should eject
Computer Specs
Member with 821 posts.

Experience: still learning
03-May-2007, 02:39 PM #3
Try this, could be button is stuck. Go to My Computer, at the bottom, the disk drive with the CD in it should show a CD. Its in Devices with Removable Storage, right click once, select eject. It should eject unless the CD was not put in properly. I used the paper clip on my other computer, this one does not have the hole. I guess I am out of luck if mine jams.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: low intermediate
03-May-2007, 03:01 PM #4
Thanks, both. -- but I have an iBook G4. There's no little hole there for a paper clip.
And I can't find "My Computer". Is it the Macintosh HD icon? The Applications file?
Willing and grateful, but stumped...
Cate
Junior Member with 13 posts.

03-May-2007, 03:03 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cate
Thanks, both. -- but I have an iBook G4. There's no little hole there for a paper clip.
And I can't find "My Computer". Is it the Macintosh HD icon? The Applications file?
Willing and grateful, but stumped...
Cate
Never used Mac but are you running Mac OS X?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,152 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-May-2007, 03:09 PM #6
do you people not look at the computer specifications b4 you post - you could all have saved a lot of time and effort by just finding out what computer is whirring over there :P

Anyways this belongs in the mac forum - Mac users probs have a better idea, as if the computer is not detecting the disc, it's not gonna appear on the desktop, therefore, not conna be able to eject it (drag it to trash)

either way i'm gonna ask a moderator to move this to the mac forum.

03-May-2007, 03:11 PM #7
Quick Google search brought me to these options, give them a try and report back:

Quote:
Add an Eject button to the Toolbar (View->Customize Toolbar) in Finder windows and use it to eject CD's).

Use the Eject key if your keyboard has one.

Drag the disc to the Trash.

Use the F12 key (10.1 and later). (You have to press and hold it for about 2 seconds. It's supposed to prevent you from accidentally opening the tray, but I do it when reaching for the backspace key all the time...)

Use the eject button, menu item, or keyboard shortcut in iTunes, Disk Utility, Toast, or any program that has an Eject Disc command.

Poking a straightened out paperclip in a drive's manual eject hole (if it has a manual eject hole; many don't these days) unlatches the drive and should let you pull the drawer open.

If the computer is not responding:
Start up from Mac OS OS 9.2 and follow the options in the 9.2 section. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25345

Restart the computer and hold down the mouse button when you hear the chime.

Hold down Option and reboot to launch the OF Startup Manager. Use its eject option if you can.

During startup, press and hold the Command-Option-O-F key combination to enter Open Firmware, type "eject cd" in lower case letters, then hit return.

And, of course, there are a variety of eject helper applications you can find at MacUpdate or wherever fine shareware is available.

Believe it or not most of those came from a single Apple Knowledgebase article:

Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver) & (QuickSilver 2002): How to Open the CD/DVD Tray
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25345

The paper clip trick is shown in great detail in these two articles:

iMac: Resetting the CD-ROM Eject Mechanism
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30910

and

Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver) and (QuickSilver 2002): How to Eject a Disc From the DVD or CD Drive
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88215
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-May-2007, 03:15 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancon
do you people not look at the computer specifications b4 you post - you could all have saved a lot of time and effort by just finding out what computer is whirring over there :P

Anyways this belongs in the mac forum - Mac users probs have a better idea, as if the computer is not detecting the disc, it's not gonna appear on the desktop, therefore, not conna be able to eject it (drag it to trash)

either way i'm gonna ask a moderator to move this to the mac forum.
Um, he/she REALLY didn't say anything about it being a MAC in the first post And we know from experience, simply because someone has computer info in their user profile, doesn't really mean that is the system they are asking about......

Moving to the MAC forums as requested.
Computer Specs

03-May-2007, 03:17 PM #9
lol - i meant click the icon next to cate's name and find out - but either way looks like carlos gave something to make cate busy...

03-May-2007, 03:26 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancon
lol - i meant click the icon next to cate's name and find out - but either way looks like carlos gave something to make cate busy...
Haha sorry about that, I'm new here just came to get some help with my headset/mouse conflict and figured I'd throw some help around until I get feedback on my thread

Pretty cool feature though, didn't realize they had their specs right there.
Computer Specs
Member with 152 posts.

Experience: Less then I let on and more than I think
03-May-2007, 03:29 PM #11
I'm assuming you have a slot loading G4. In the far right side of the slot there is a button that can be pushed with a paper clip to eject the disc.
Computer Specs

03-May-2007, 04:11 PM #12
JackandCoke we have already established, three times, I think now, that there is no hole in his computer

Edited by AcaCandy to remove profanity.

Last edited by ~Candy~; 04-May-2007 at 09:42 AM..
Senior Member with 1,064 posts.

Experience: Mac user for over 20 years
03-May-2007, 04:48 PM #13
He's using Internet Explorer. Give him four years and he'll be up to where we are today. Just kidding Jack... Mostly.

Okay, this was a problem that I had a few months back dealing with a DVD containing a bunch of case-related documents. There was an adhesive label affixed to the top of the DVD, stating the case name, the contents, etc., to which I didn't pay much attention before inserting into my MacBook Pro. Once I got the files copied I went to eject it and it gave me the normal "I'm ejecting your disk" mechanical sounds (urrr-EEEEH-aaaaaah), but failed to completely do so, and the disk retracted and reappeared on my desktop. I tried again. No luck. And again.

Every time it would just barely appear in the slot opening of the drive, but not far enough that I could get a grasp on it. I ended up doing what was suggested above, holding the computer at an extremely odd angle, pretty much completely upside down, with the display pointed pretty much directly at my chest and the rest of the computer pointed at my legs, and the disk ejected from the slot enough that I was able to grab it and pull it out.

I feared that I had somehow damaged the eject mechanism by pulling the CD out when it wasn't yet done with it, but the mechanism seems to be working fine, some two or three months later.

Rest assured, I will no longer insert a disk with any kind of affixed label into my MBP. I recommend you do not do so, either.
chilkotardis chilkotardis is offline chilkotardis has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 83 posts.

Experience: Adv- Windows and OS X
03-May-2007, 04:57 PM #14
Hello
Hi Cate, i also have an iBook G4 that is about 2 years old, and i found a suggestion:
restart the computer while holding the trackpad button down.
Hope that helps, if not, take it to an apple store and they can probablt help you, do you have applecare?
Senior Member with 1,064 posts.

Experience: Mac user for over 20 years
03-May-2007, 05:10 PM #15
If I may be so bold...

The problem is not with getting the disk to eject by way of software. The problem is getting the disk to eject by way of hardware. Everything happens as it is supposed to, but because of some physical problem, likely a label on the disk, the mechanism is unable to fulfill its requirements.

It has ejectile dysfunction...

...of a physical (hardware), not mental (software), nature.

If you can get the computer to push the disk out far enough that you can quickly grab it with needlenosed pliers by all means do so. Ignore the small dents this may put in your laptop's case. Consider them notches on your computer-using bedstand.

Then put the disk into a tray-loading drive, copy it, do not place a label on it, and carry on with life as it should be.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!