Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Archive: Business Applications Archive: Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

Solved: Microsoft Access 2000 Database and Pictures

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 151 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Mar-2007, 04:39 PM #1
Question Solved: Microsoft Access 2000 Database and Pictures
I would greatly appreciate any help that I can get for a project I am working on. I have done a program in MS Access 2000 for a local company to track bridge repairs. In the past we were able to add pics to the file by adding OLE object and it would show the pic. However, now it shows the file name. Nothing has changed. Still using the same version of OS and MS. The only thing I could think of is maybe if there has been some MS Office updates that I'm not aware of.

The program will show TIF files as an icon w/ file name; JPG files as file name only; GIF as pic; BMP files show as fuzzy pic w/ file name.

All of the pics that the company currently has are all in JPG format.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
OBP OBP is offline OBP is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 18,608 posts.

14-Mar-2007, 05:49 PM #2
JWhitehead, OLE objects are very tempramental. If you double click the "Icon" it should open the Photos in their default "Software".
However it is much better to have jpg photos in Unbound "Image" controls.
These can be loaded up during the form's "On Current" event procedure. The major advantage to this method is that you only need to store the "Path" to the photo and the VBA code does the rest.
The only drawback to this method is Forms in "Continuous Mode" show the same photo in every record until you refresh each record.
I have quite a few databases using this technique, so if want my help to change the display method just let me know.
Computer Specs
Member with 151 posts.

20-Mar-2007, 01:20 PM #3
I just want to thank OBP very much for all his help! I do greatly apprciate all of your help.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

06-Sep-2007, 01:27 AM #4
I am using Access 2000 for our church membership directory and trying to get the .jpg pictures to imbed. It will only put in the names.

Could someone tell me how to add an unbound image and then get the "on current event" to update the photo as stated above? I would like the photos to show on a printed report.
Thanks for your time.
Computer Specs

06-Sep-2007, 04:18 AM #5
Cosla, how familiar are you with VBA?
It is actually easier to use a "Bound" Image, although it does use a bit more Disc Space.
If you can post a blank version of the database as a zipped attachment on here I can create the VBA for you.
Computer Specs

06-Sep-2007, 06:18 PM #6
Red face Database too large
I haven't used Visual Basic in ages and can't find my manual (sigh). I have tried to uload the file and even the stripped down and zipped version is 7.5 mb. Maximum upload is 500 KB. Any other ideas?
Computer Specs

11-Sep-2007, 12:06 PM #7
Red face Thank you!!!
Thanks to OBP. He wrote some VB code that inserted pictures into the database without increasing the size so dramatically. You insert the name of the picture (entire file address) into the database and then it loads the pictures when you look at the report.

Results are awesome.

Thanks OBP,
Cosla
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
14-Oct-2007, 11:05 PM #8
I'm trying to be able to look at a record and see a picture of the card. I created a database to keep track of my trading cards and I scanned them to be able to see them in access. But it can't be that simple to just to click and drop. So I was if someone could help me with this.
Computer Specs

15-Oct-2007, 04:52 AM #9
Would you like a copy of the database that I modified for Cosla, or would you like me to write the VBA for your database?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
15-Oct-2007, 02:24 PM #10
OBP that would be great if you could write some code for my database. If I could e-mail you a copy, I tried to upload it but even compressed and empty its 1.7 meg.
And thanks a lot, Brett

Last edited by krautracer; 15-Oct-2007 at 02:29 PM..
Computer Specs

15-Oct-2007, 03:42 PM #11
I have private mailed you my email address.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

01-Nov-2007, 07:23 PM #12
Ms Access + Pictures
Hi OBP,

Seems that you are the Guru so Iím going to ask for your help? I have created a database and I have a form that takes parameters and from those parameters that I pass it runs a query and spins the data and then goes to my report. All is working well, But now I want in my report to show a different picture depending on the parameters that I pass through my form is this possible if so how?? Hope you can help
Computer Specs

02-Nov-2007, 11:38 AM #13
is the Report photo an image related to the record or an Icon on the sheet, wallpaper?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

23-Feb-2008, 08:56 AM #14
Dear OBP:
Am trying to attach jpg files to simple data base for Homeowners Association. Noted your Oct. 2007 expertise in this field. Could you just give me the simplest form for doing this procedure?

Thanks,

RLH, Austin, TX
Computer Specs

23-Feb-2008, 10:35 AM #15
RLH, I don't think I have any simple Forms with Photo manipluation on.
Basically it is quite straightforward, you need a field in your table to hold the full Path to the Photo, including it's name.
That field needs to be on your Form.
You then create a bound Image Field to one of your Photos.
You then require some simple Visual Basic that goes in to the Form's "On Current" event Procedure which refreshes the photo image to what ever record you are on.
If you can post a zipped database with the table/query/form on I can add the Visual baisc for you.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!