Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Archive: Business Applications Archive: Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

Solved: Cannot Remove Watermark in Word 2003

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 26 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Nov-2007, 07:31 PM #1
Solved: Cannot Remove Watermark in Word 2003
Hello!

I have a document that has been edited many times and is now ready to be distributed. Each rendition of edits has been saved.

I am able to remove the "Draft" watermark from all renditions except the final one.

When I click on format>background>printed watermark the "No watermark" is selected. Obviously there is a watermark.

I tried to see if it were a fill...no. Draft is not in a text box. There are however many graphics in the document but the draft is not one. I tried inserting a watermark and then removing it, trying to fool the application...it wasn't fooled.

Any ideas?

Thank you so very much!!!!
Computer Specs
Member with 1,348 posts.

29-Nov-2007, 11:06 PM #2
You could try copying the document onto a new blank document.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

Experience: Currently stupid...
30-Nov-2007, 02:55 AM #3
Is it diagonal across the page as is standard? (I only ask that because I have heard of people putting a watermark graphic in the header or footer - never have seen it, though).
Did your file get saved as a template (.dot), rather than a document (.doc)?
If the answer to all these are that it is a normal watermark in a regular document, the only thing I can think of is to go to format background and insert a graphic watermark (not text) and setting the size to 1 - essentially invisible. (In fact, if you have the software, you could make a tiny transparent .jpg or .gif to use for the picture or take one off the net - this page, in fact, has a 1px x 1px .gif called talk.gif [if you have Firefox, right-click, look at page info and go to the Media tab. You can save the pic that way.]). However, whether that would override the previous watermark, I don't know.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 869 posts.

30-Nov-2007, 07:17 AM #4
try to edit header and footer! it may be a graphic inserted that way, and if so, just select it and hit "Delete"
Computer Specs

30-Nov-2007, 06:12 PM #5
Hi, Thanks for all the info.

To answer all the questions. It is Not diaganol and it is Not in the header.

It is a .doc

I tried to copy to a new document and the watermark came with. The only way the watermark disappears is if I Paste Special "unformatted". This is not an option because I lose all the formatting and graphics.

I tried inserting a transparent .jpg and it wouldn't cover the watermark.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Thanks.
Computer Specs

30-Nov-2007, 06:31 PM #6
Hi again!

We fixed it!!!!!!!!!!!

You folks who thought it was in the header, well you were correct but not the way one would expect.

It was a text box in the header moved to the center of the page. It was outside the header range.

Craziness.....

Thanks so much!
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

30-Nov-2007, 08:04 PM #7
Find out whoever did that and make him/her explain why! LOL
What a crazy idea!
Computer Specs
Member with 1,348 posts.

30-Nov-2007, 10:42 PM #8
Somebody should be shot! I believe text boxes should be removed from word.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

30-Nov-2007, 11:53 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by caraewilton
Somebody should be shot!
HEAVENS!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by caraewilton
I believe text boxes should be removed from word.
Uh, it does make you wonder, a program that mostly deals with text having special boxes to handle text in a different way....
Computer Specs
Member with 1,348 posts.

01-Dec-2007, 12:08 AM #10
I spend a lot of my time helping people sorting out formating issues in word. Text boxes are the bane of my life! As for using a text box to insert a watermark in a header. Just seem absurd.
I tell you what though, I used to use wordperfect, (Started with version 3 for dos, and the last version I used was 8). It had a feature called "reveal codes". (Word has a similar feature, but it does now show everthing and you can't edit the code in the same way). Basically Reveal codes would split your screen. Above you have the normal window. Below, was a gray area where all the codes are shown. Looks a lot like html code. Now say something odd was happening, like this watermark issue. You cound locate the watermark picture, and from the codes around it you could then see where the problem lies. In this case it would have been something like:
[Header][textbox]watermark.jpg[textbox][Header]
It would of taken a few seconds to figure out the problem.
Word leaves you blind in this regard.
Their reveal codes like option does not show all the codes, so it is not much help really. I wish MS would include something like the wordperfect option. Would save me hours!
Computer Specs
Member with 1,348 posts.

01-Dec-2007, 12:16 AM #11
mmm, just read my post. The first line may explain why I am always giving people advice that solves formatting, not values.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,837 posts.

01-Dec-2007, 01:55 AM #12
I give as little advice about Word as I can (professionally, at least...don't mind doing it here!?!?!!!)...I understand!
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

11-Apr-2008, 09:09 PM #13
Smile More details on this problem as I experienced it
This also occurred in Word 2007.

Previous post gave the necessary clue.

By clicking to activate header/footer, I noticed that "DRAFT" became more prominent.

Clicking on the "DRAFT" revealed it was a diagonal text box as noted in previous post.
Could then be deleted.

Problem seemed to be related to having different sections in the document, as one does to set up a different header on the first page than subsequent pages.

The "DRAFT" on the first page was easily removed. It was the "DRAFT" on subsequent pages which could not be removed using the Watermark - remove buttons.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!