Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Archive: Hardware Archive: Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

{SOLVED} Agfa snapscan 1212u

(!)

Junior Member with 27 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-May-2000, 03:33 AM #1
I upgraded my 1996 pentium 100 Compaq DeskPro with a Belkin Fsu005 PCI card to add 2 usb ports. I am running win98. USB open host controller & USB root hub are listed in device manager. However, when I installed the scanner (installed scanwise, then plugged in scanner as instructed) windows does not recognize & install. I placed a shortcut to stimon in startup folder, did not help. I tried add new hardware, windows wants to add a kodak camera which I do not have. I upgraded scanwise to the latest version, still requests that scanner be turned on/plugged in, which it is, & the scanner still does not show up in device mgr. Any suggestions?

------------------
Sandra
Member with 5,223 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-May-2000, 06:24 PM #2
Many USB scanners will not work on anything less than a P166. Are you sure yours supports a P100?

------------------
Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech
(4/29 free $5 added - free computer headset extended to 5/31!):
http://www.rkfdcore.com/ebaypics/referrals.htm

06-May-2000, 06:47 AM #3
You've got me there, I don't know what a P100 or a P166 is. Belkin said something about needing a different filter, which Agfa said they did not have.
At this point, I am thinking that the only solution will be a new computer.

------------------
Sandra
Member with 5,223 posts.

07-May-2000, 10:21 AM #4
P100 = Pentium 100
P166 = Pentium 166

That is the CPU in your computer. The higher the number (generally speaking) the faster the computer. What I was saying was that many USB devices need a faster CPU than you have.

As for the solution - why not a parallel port scanner? Wouldn't that be cheaper than a new computer?

------------------

13-May-2000, 07:48 AM #5
Thank you for the explanation. In the Agfa documentation nothing states a requirement for processor speed. And yes, a parallel port scanner would be cheaper in the short run - but - this computer is not up to speed unless I upgrade the processor, and add a larger hard drive. I have just been delaying the inevitable. Also, I have a printer and a removable drive already hooked up to the parallel port and wanted to avoid attaching & unattaching hardware.

------------------
Sandra
Member with 5,223 posts.

18-May-2000, 10:05 PM #6
Makes sense - moving cables around like that can be a pain.

I just checked their web site on that scanner, and all it says is Pentium, Windows 98, USB. Doesn't list a speed. So, in theory, it should work.

Have you tested the scanner on another machine to make sure it actually works?

------------------

21-May-2000, 05:59 AM #7
No, I haven't checked the scanner on another machine - the only other computer I have access to is a 486 that my kids use, without USB ports.

------------------
Sandra
Member with 5,223 posts.

21-May-2000, 04:35 PM #8
I'm not sure what else to try then. Based on your decription it could be a bad scanner. It could be an odd setup problem.

The only way to be sure is to try the scanner on another machine. Did you buy it locally? Maybe the store can test it for you?

------------------
(5/20 new, unlimited, pay to surf site added):
Member with 34 posts.

22-May-2000, 03:25 PM #9
Hopefully, you haven't done anything drastic yet... But here's how I solved a similar problem with my AGFA SnapScan 1212U...

Matter of fact, here's the actual fax communication I had with them about my problem...

Boot the computer into safe mode and remove the scanner from the device manager. Look for it in AGFA SCANNERS, IMAGING DEVICES< and OTHER DEVICES. Remove ALL listings of the scanner, then boot the computer into the setup utility and look for LEGACY USB PORT in peripheral configuration or Integrated peripherals. Make sure it is enabled, and save and exit. The scanner should be found and should load using the AGFA SCANNER CD. If you need further assistance, please call us at 1-970-522-1380.

Our regards
Rob F.
Agfa Technical Support

I had different menu options... This was my reply...

Here are the Windows '98 upgrade installation instructions that the online technical support representative sent me. Now, the only thing I had to work out for myself was the "Legacy USB Port" option that he spoke of... My BIOS (Award) didn't have this exact option. The option I had to enable was USB Keyboard Support. I know, it sounds strange, and I enabled it on a hunch, but that's what made my scanner work!

Hope this helps... It's a great scanner once you get it to work!!

G1

27-May-2000, 09:11 AM #10
Thank you for your post, the scanner is working! I ended up booting to safe mode, removing all usb entries from device manager, there were not any imaging entries. I then plugged in the scanner & rebooted. Windows promptly found both the usb and the scanner.
The weird thing is I had tried this before with no luck, the only difference I can figure out is that my system is "really" clean - no out of date dll's, drivers, etc that may have caused a conflict.

------------------
Sandra
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!