Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Archive: Hardware Archive: Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

Solved: XP Pro sound doesn't work (no active mixers)

(!)

Junior Member with 6 posts.

09-Nov-2006, 07:27 AM #1
Unhappy Solved: XP Pro sound doesn't work (no active mixers)
I have a Asus P4P800-MX mobo. I was forced to do a fresh reinstall of windows after my comp messed up. After i did that, i installed the necessary drivers for my mobo off the Asus website as i have lost my mobo utilities disk.

When i downloaded the sound drivers and followed the instructions to install them i get an error saying that setup cannot continue. Nothing more then that really, no files or anything. Once i press ok, it's over. Your supposed to unzip all three sound files into one folder and then execute the first one, when i try and execute it that when it all comes to an end.

I was wondering whether there is any kind of sound drivers i can install that would atleast giove me working sound?

Thanks
Senior Member with 205 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Nov-2006, 08:12 AM #2
Look at device manager, under sound,video,and game controllers, see if the audio codects is enabled, legacy audio codects is enabled. If not right click>enable, then try and install the audio drivers again.

09-Nov-2006, 09:23 AM #3
Thanks for the reply.

I checked out legacy audio in device manager. I wasn't able to disable or enable it. I did see a caption when looking at its properties saying that it was running ok. The same is for the rest of them.

I then tried going into "volume control" through start etc as i don't have the volume icon in the taskbar. Interestingly when i clicked colume control i got the error "There are no active mixer devices available,go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware. This programme will now close."

Also, I find that when i try to open a music file in windows media player i get the error "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

Any ideas?

Thanks
Account Disabled with 11,098 posts.

Experience: Ask My Computer It Knows Everything
09-Nov-2006, 10:03 AM #4
Sounds like their are not the correct drivers maybe.
Account Disabled with 11,098 posts.

Experience: Ask My Computer It Knows Everything
09-Nov-2006, 10:18 AM #5
Double check in the services and makesure it is started

Start>>Control Panel>>Administrative Tools>>Services and look under windows Audio and makesure it is started and set to Automatic
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Nov-2006, 11:41 AM #6
Some one was more than likely right about the drivers not being the correct ones. I would suggest going back to the site that you downloaded these drivers from and see if there are anything else there. If not then go to the motherboards manufacturers site and find the correct motherboard and the correct drivers and download from there.

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.

09-Nov-2006, 05:57 PM #7
The thing is, i haven't yet installed any drivers. I went to the Asus website to download the exact drivers needed for my board (P4P800-MX) but recieved an error whilst trying to install them. So i was thinking i should still have some kind of standard audio drivers that give me working sound with XP PRO alone.

I'm not on the comp that needs the sound fixing so i'll check out the tips given above later, i'll keep you posted.

Thanks
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 104 posts.

09-Nov-2006, 09:36 PM #8
there are 2 other things you could try,

1) go into the device manager "right click" the sound device and uninstall it, then reboot the computer it should reload the drivers.

if stillnot working

2) Goto windows update click Custom update and then select hardware choose from the list it gives you their,

good luck

10-Nov-2006, 08:50 AM #9
Thanks for the replies.

I checked the above pointers apart from yankeebeans and they didn't work. Until i check that one out i was wondering whether you think installing a clean copy of windows vista rc1 woukld solve the problem? I'm going to install it anyway but was wondering whether it would make a difference?

Cheers

11-Nov-2006, 07:49 AM #10
I tried everything, it still doesn't work! OGH
Junior Member with 2 posts.

11-Nov-2006, 09:14 AM #11
I've been trying everything all last night and this morning to try and get my sound back, this situation is the same as descibed. There are several solutions out there but none have worked for me, these include reinstalling plug and play enumerator using a modified machine.inf file. Also checking the services.msc through RUN and then looking at Windows Audio properties, some say to turn it to automatic, which it already is but the START, STOP, PAUSE and RESUME buttons are greyed out. I have no playback or recording devices on MIDI properties.

I read somewhere to enter the following in command prompt and maybe another command any way here are the scripts, whay is it in as topped state?

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Matt>sc query kmixer

SERVICE_NAME: kmixer
TYPE : 1 KERNEL_DRIVER
STATE : 1 STOPPED
(NOT_STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 31 (0x1f)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0

C:\Documents and Settings\Matt>

C:\Documents and Settings\Matt>sc qc kmixer
[SC] GetServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: kmixer
TYPE : 1 KERNEL_DRIVER
START_TYPE : 3 DEMAND_START
ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
BINARY_PATH_NAME : system32\drivers\kmixer.sys
LOAD_ORDER_GROUP :
TAG : 0
DISPLAY_NAME : Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer
DEPENDENCIES :
SERVICE_START_NAME :

ALSO on my C-Media AC97 Audio Device properties viewed from device manager all multimedia devices including audio, midi and mixer devices that a;; use the C-Media WDM audio device are: Staus: Driver is enabled but not yet started.

One other point is that the same request box appears on a problem on windows 95 on the microsoft site and it relate to an mmsystem.dll file missing from the system.ini file, but considerin I have XP PRO it isn't much use!

Any ideas would be appreciated as I've read that people have reinstalled, even formatted drives over this reoccuring problem over the years.

Good Luck Jack

Cheers
Junior Member with 2 posts.

11-Nov-2006, 09:27 AM #12
Smile Lol
What would have been easier would be to have found my motherboard CD Driver disk and reinstalled the audio drivers last night rather than seconds after posting the previous this afternoon, doh, and the problem was solved, so ignore above.

Cheers

11-Nov-2006, 01:37 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpsch
What would have been easier would be to have found my motherboard CD Driver disk and reinstalled the audio drivers last night rather than seconds after posting the previous this afternoon, doh, and the problem was solved, so ignore above.

Cheers
It's funny you said that as i found my mobo driver disk today and installed the sound drivers. Works perfectly! Thank for the replies everyone.

Although i do have one problem still. When i'm typing an e-mail address and press the '@' key, instead of '@' i get a ' " ' a quote. And if i try to enter a quote (") i get the '@' sign! Its like they have both switched places and its getting annoying. Any ideas?

Thanks again.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!