Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Archive: UNIX/Linux Archive: UNIX/Linux
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

CD-ROM read error during install

(!)

Member with 42 posts.

22-Dec-1999, 01:59 AM #1
I'm trying to help someone with an install, and I'm stumped. He's got a SUSE 6.2 distribution that starts fine and then quits reading the CD during various stages of the install.

The CD drive is not the problem, we have tried it with others, and get the same results. Worst of all, MS Windoze has quit reading from the CD, too. I even thought of trying my RedHat 6.1, and it does the same thing.

Anyone? Thanks...
Senior Member with 703 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Dec-1999, 02:22 AM #2
So let me clarify...

If I understand correctly, while you're installing SUSE, the CDROM stops reading the disc. You say you've tried it with others? How do you mean? You tried the SUSE CD in other drives, you tried the drive in other PC's? I would tend to lean towards the CD itself if it stops being read.
You say that you also tried RH, I'm not sure what you mean here either... do you mean that you tried a RH CD in the drive, with the same access-for-awhile-then-quit results? If so, I'd point to the drive, and not the disc.

Hope this helps, a little. Let me know how it goes.

Mike

------------------
LINUX Moderator (yes, that makes me MORE BIASED than Reuel Miller!)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

In any organization there will always be one person who knows what is going on. This person must be fired.

Member with 42 posts.

22-Dec-1999, 06:10 PM #3
Clarification or paradox, you be the judge:

1. Different distributions on different CDs have given the same start-then-quit results, pointing towards the drive as the culprit.

2. Other drives have been substituted in the machine to help in the troubleshooting, but they give the same results, too (pointing to the compact disc as the problem).

3. Since this CD-failing-phenomenon, MS Windows will not read from the CD-ROM, either. (He has two completely separate HDs for the two OSs, with plenty of room for them both)

If the hardware weren't new (it is), I would personally say there's a problem beyond our control in the board. I don't know what's left.

Thanks for the input.
Senior Member with 703 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Dec-1999, 06:57 PM #4
Okay, now it's a little more clear.

I would lean towards the motherboard, or possibly a bad IDE cable (I'm assuming the dirve is IDE, of course...)

Just because it's new doesn't mean the board isn't bad. Have you ever heard of FIC? I've seen at least 5 or 6 of their boards bad right out of the box.

I would check one more time, but use the disc in a different CDROM dirive, on a different machine. I think your problem is motherboard or IDE cable..

Mike

------------------
LINUX Moderator (yes, that makes me MORE BIASED than Reuel Miller!)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

In any organization there will always be one person who knows what is going on. This person must be fired.

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!