Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Archive: Web & Email Archive: Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

Solved: IE Won't Open When Clicking on Hyperlinks

(!)

Junior Member with 18 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Jul-2004, 06:33 PM #1
Solved: IE Won't Open When Clicking on Hyperlinks
Let me start off by saying hello, I'm obviously new here. But not new to pc's at all. This is a very interesting looking forum and I hope I can contribute.

I am having a strange but probably simple problem which just started. I'm running XP pro on cable modem and use IE and Outlook. (please no more debates about browser and email prefferences )

The problem is that links that appear in programs such as Outlook, Newsleecher, even MSN messenger, won't open up the browser and go to the page. The little hand appears in the mouse pointer but when I click nothing happens. Of course before the browser (IE) would open on the correct page whenever I clicked such a link. The problem is not confined to the programs I listed, it is global. No matter what program I have open, if there is a web link displayed within it, it will not open IE and go to the page like it's supposed to.

I have checked my firewall, virus software and spyware blockers and they dont' seem to be causing the problem. I install and uninstall new software all the time and it's very possible a simple setting got changed somewhere. But for the life of me I can't find it.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Member with 11,942 posts.

16-Jul-2004, 06:45 PM #2
It could be caused by an unregistered .dll file. Try this and let us know what happens ...

Close all programs

Click on Start>Run, key in the following and press enter

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

Click on OK when you receive the completion message.

If that doesn't resolve it, try the same command with the following files

Shdocvw.dll
Msjava.dll
Actxprxy.dll
Oleaut32.dll
Mshtml.dll
Browseui.dll
Shell32.dll

16-Jul-2004, 07:12 PM #3
Interesting thing to try, I didnt' think of it. However it had no effect.

I recently installed a bunch of new browsers so I could try them out but ended up deleting them. I'm thinking one of those may have changed a setting somewhere that I can't find. I do have IE set to my default browser. and I have looked through all the internet advanced options, folder options and file associations.

This is a very hard problem to search for in google mainly because no matter how I word it I get a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with what I want.

Anyway, keep the good ideas coming, we're getting closer.

16-Jul-2004, 07:24 PM #4
Try checking the file association for "NONE: URL HyperText Transfer Protocol"

Goto the Control Panel and click on FolderOptions. Then click on File Types. Scroll down and locate the above file type and click on Advanced then Edit. Now compare the values to the ones listed at the link below ...

http://www.oehelp.com/ielnk.aspx

16-Jul-2004, 07:24 PM #5
I just noticed a new twist. Even when I have a software of any kind open and I go to somewhere in the menu such as help/support or anywhere that's supposed to open up a website for you, it doesn't happen. The only way I can open my browser is to click on the shortcut or the exe file. Nothing else will open it for me.

What gives?

16-Jul-2004, 07:41 PM #6
Genious!!

That was the problem. They were set to Opera browser.

Yet another reason to not use that browser.

Thanks a million sir.

16-Jul-2004, 07:42 PM #7
Your welcome, glad to hear you're ok now ...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!