Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Archive: Web & Email Archive: Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

[Resolved] "No Connection, Try Again" when starting InternetExplorer

(!)

Member with 939 posts.

Experience: Very basic...
11-Jan-2002, 08:55 PM #1
No connection to the Internet message
From time to time, I get the following message..."No connection to the Internet is currently available. To view Internet content that has been saved on your computer click Work Offline"
This happens when I am definitely online and to continue I must click Try Again. Some days it doesn't happen at all and other days it seems to happen every time I change websites. I have Outlook Express 6 and high speed internet service.
What's happening and how can I correct it. Thanks.
Member with 11,942 posts.

11-Jan-2002, 09:28 PM #2
I've seen that same problem happen periodically on some PCs. Try this and let us know what happens.

Click on Start>Settings>ControlPanel>InternetOptions>Connections>LanSettings. Select "Automatically Detect Settings" and click on OK.

Now start Internet Explorer. Once it's started and has loaded your home page, close Internet Explorer. Now go back to that same auto setting and remove the check mark and click on OK.

Now see if IE finds the connection consistently.
Member with 7,486 posts.

11-Jan-2002, 09:31 PM #3
Sometimes Internet Explorer doesn't recognize the internet connection exists. First thing to do when this happens is to check Internet Options>connections and be sure "Never Dial a Connection" is selected.

There is a trick I found on the Internet I use myself because I got this message constantly. It involves renaming a file. However, if you have multiple user profiles set up this won't be something to consider. The file Loadwc.exe loads the user profile information for Internet Explorer.

Find loadwc.exe and rename it DonotLoadwc.exe

Open the registry and Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WebCheck
Look for these two entries in the right pane. Double
click on each and modify its value to No
LoadSens
LoadLCE

That's it.
Ifyou ever have to repair IE, first rename DonotLoadwc.exe back to Loadwc.exe or you'll get a message that IE could not be repaired.

After the repair is finished, rename it back again and go into the registry and redo the changes.
Member with 7,486 posts.

11-Jan-2002, 09:43 PM #4
Bryan,
I removed my rename and registry changes. Then used your method. It seems to have worked. Thanks. I was also having trouble downloading FTP if I didn't have this Tweak in place(noloadwc.exe) and IE was running normally. This seems to have worked for that too.

Mo

11-Jan-2002, 09:56 PM #5
Glad to hear it. That problem drove me crazy for weeks on a second PC I have on a home network and also on a friends PC. Tweaking that setting is the only thing I found that fixed it permanently. Let me know if yours stays fixed. The other two PCs had that problem on a daily basis but it's been two weeks since I tweaked the IE setting and neither has had a problem since.

Last edited by Bryan; 11-Jan-2002 at 10:03 PM..
Member with 939 posts.

Experience: Very basic...
13-Jan-2002, 05:09 PM #6
Thanks Bryan, I tried your suggestion a day ago and so far I haven't seen that annoying message!!!

14-Jan-2002, 10:18 AM #7
Your welcome, be sure to let us know if it should start doing it again. So far I haven't had any PCs start doing it again after tweaking that setting in IE.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!