Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Archive: Web & Email Archive: Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

[SOLVED] IE5.x hangs, then goes,hangs,then ..{disable NIC}

(!)

Junior Member with 23 posts.

04-Sep-2002, 03:33 PM #1
Angry IE5.x hangs, then goes,hangs,then goes........
Ie5.x hangs for 2-3 minutes, then runs for a few minutes, then hangs again and does this the entire time I am online. Heres my stats: Gateway (pretty much just the motherboard, case and wiring at this point) PentiumII MMX 300MHz, 40GB Maxtor,Creative 56K V.92, 128Mb RAM, IE5.5 w/ sp2 and new August2002 updates.
The entire time I am online it does this. I have had 3 HDs in this and downloaded/uploaded Ie5.5 3 times from 3 different sources including CD, trying to get it to stop. No luck. Only does it when I am using IE online. Outlook Express works fine. Computer has no other problems but this. I have tried Fixit and a handful of other ways and suggestions. I have disable auto detect, I have reloaded settings from ISP (AT&T) I know.....LOL Dial-up. Thats whats available to me though. I end up spending 4-5 hours online when I really only need about an hour or so to do what I need to do. Somebody please help before I just throw this thing away with my footprint through the side of the case. THANKS!!!!
Member with 6,427 posts.

04-Sep-2002, 03:48 PM #2
Did you check for any viruses? Just in case...

Try an online scan at HouseCall .

Also could you plz post your startups and OS? For startups -

Go to Start->Run->Msinfo32 [enter]

Go to Software Environment->Startup Programs

Click Edit->Select all->Copy

Now paste the contents here in the post.

04-Sep-2002, 04:01 PM #3
LOL....Sorry..DUHHH Win98SE
As for the start ups...I am currently on a work computer. The computer I am having trouble with is my home computer.

As for viruses I dont believe this to be an issue. Heres why.
I also have a Sony Viao and it has worked fine. I bought this Gateway from a friend and took out his HD, Video and Sound cards and the modem. Put in all brand new stuff and upgraded the memory. I was online with the Sony, decided to try the Gateway online, since it has a faster processor and a more current modem. Turned it on plugged myself into the wall and got online...for about 2 minutes, then it stopped. Wouldnt let me do anything. Then started up again, ran for a few minutes, then stopped. I played with it for a couple of days and went and bought another HD. Reloaded Win98SE, downloaded my ISP settings...same thing. The world thing in the upper right hand corner still spins..just nothing else works while it is "sleeping".
Member with 6,427 posts.

04-Sep-2002, 04:07 PM #4
About the viruses never know. It could also happen due to some spyware/adware if installed. Things would have been easier if the startups were available too...

Hope you can post the startups when possible.

04-Sep-2002, 04:23 PM #5
I will try to get the startups posted tonight. If the thing is still alive when I get done with it. LOL
I had Ad-aware installed at one time but that was on a different HD and after it started doing this. When it started...the only thing on this HD was Win98SE, like I said..I have been through three HD's and all have done this with nothing more than Win98SE on them. I was wondering if it couldn't be something in the motherboard?
Member with 6,427 posts.

04-Sep-2002, 04:45 PM #6
I really dont think that its got something to do with the motherboard or for that matter the hardware installed as this problem is only with the IE. May be its due to the modem(least possibility, but may be it is the reason).

04-Sep-2002, 04:54 PM #7
Well I thought it might be the modem too...at first. It had a 3com in it...then I changed it to the LT Winmodem that was in my Sony. No changes. The I thought...maybe its because they are older modems...56K flex V.90's. SO I bought this Creative 56K v.92.

Still the same old story.

I really appreciate your brainstorming here with me!!!
Senior Member with 754 posts.

04-Sep-2002, 04:55 PM #8
Try another browser , just to isolate the problem .

http://www.beonex.com/communicator/
Member with 6,427 posts.

04-Sep-2002, 05:01 PM #9
Quote:
I really appreciate your brainstorming here with me!!!

Well thats a good point made by jmatt. Does this happen with other browsers too or is it only IE?

Senior Member with 3,452 posts.

05-Sep-2002, 12:39 AM #10
Do you have an ethernet adapter in the computer?
Del

05-Sep-2002, 08:08 AM #11
I will try a new browser tonight. Was trying to avoid doing that only because it could just be one more thing to wrong and send my foot through the side of the case... )

There is an ethernet card in it.....Tell me more. Its an ATI etherlink card. Are we on to something here?

05-Sep-2002, 12:21 PM #12
The etherlink card that I have...is that something I can just pull out of the slot and it not wreak havoc on my system?

05-Sep-2002, 01:14 PM #13
If you have an ethernet card in the computer, even though you don't use it, sometimes the tcp/ip will cause your computer to hang when it tries to reach the DHCP server and can't.
You can try device manager and disable it, or putting an internal ip address like 192.168.54.2 and subnet like 255.255.255.0 and that will stop it from trying to find a DHCP server.
Del

05-Sep-2002, 01:58 PM #14
COOOOOLLLL I will give that a try!!! THANKS!!!!
It trying to connect.....is that something it does every few minutes if it does make a connection?

05-Sep-2002, 02:11 PM #15
Yup, it did it to me in Win NT but not in other O/S's.
Check this thread out, worked for them.
Del

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread...313#post524313
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!