Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Archive: Windows 95/98/Me Archive: Windows 95/98/Me
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

HELP! Missing letter

(!)

Junior Member with 10 posts.

03-Feb-2000, 08:05 PM #1
Ok guys...Here is My weird probleM...

The sMall letter "M" is Missing. If you notice I got to type the letter "M" capitalized. If not it wont show up at all. I have tried Reinstalling windows 98, Reinstalling the Intellitype software. Even got a new keyboard and the letter "M" (Mall) is still issing...what gives? I never had this probleM even less heard of it...any ideas?

I run:
Win 98 SE, Using a Pentiu PRO 200, with a 4 gig HD on a SCSI chain. 64 raM, Diaond stealth card with Monster card add on. This problM never has happend before and I cant explain it. I have tried a few of the suggestions posted here (usinf SFC for exaple) and no luck.

Help!!!

Rogue1962
Junior Member with 5 posts.

03-Feb-2000, 11:17 PM #2
I have your frickin small m right here!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Look familiar?

You can have it back for 1 Billion dollars.

Sincerley yours,

Dr. Evil
Member with 5,223 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Feb-2000, 11:37 PM #3
Dr Evil - considering that I am finally getting around to purchasing the first Austin DVD (have second already) I can't get too upset here.... BUT - please don't post replys like that again.

This is a help site - if you can't help, please don't reply. I'd hate to have to force you to shoot off into space in a Big Boy again.

Rogue - considering how keyboards are made, this doesn't seem possible. Are you serious?

If so, please boot from a known good, virus free floppy and try the m key at a DOS prompt and let us know what happens.
Senior Member with 1,843 posts.

04-Feb-2000, 12:04 AM #4
Just curious, how did you get the small "m" in xxx@xxxx.com in your E-Mail address in your user Profile?

04-Feb-2000, 12:34 AM #5
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LarryCore:
Dr Evil - considering that I am finally getting around to purchasing the first Austin DVD (have second already) I can't get too upset here.... BUT - please don't post replys like that again.

This is a help site - if you can't help, please don't reply. I'd hate to have to force you to shoot off into space in a Big Boy again.

Thanks for the support!

Rogue - considering how keyboards are made, this doesn't seem possible. Are you serious?

Deadly Serious!

If so, please boot from a known good, virus free floppy and try the m key at a DOS prompt and let us know what happens.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I booted froa windos strat up disk to DOS and y little "M" reappeared. Suspecting that this Might be a "Virus" I'M 9as we speak) running Norton's Antivirus. It found close to 78 different copies of the "Marburg Virus" (Not that I know what it Means). So hoping this is the proble, I aM trying to correct it. I'll let you know how it turns out. If you have anyMore suggestions I'd love to hear froM you guys...

Thanks Rogue

04-Feb-2000, 12:36 AM #6
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul Nagel:
Just curious, how did you get the small "m" in xxx@xxxx.com in your E-Mail address in your user Profile?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't. I have no clue how it got there. I typed My eMail address with a capital M...

Rogue

04-Feb-2000, 07:08 AM #7
Ok...I booted up froM a Rescue Disk (both "Window and Nortons"). When I booted froM windows, I was able to get an sMall "M" in DOS. When I booted up with Nortons, I was able to get a sMall "M" in windows (Like a "Safe" version"). I ran NDD, Virus, surface test etc. I cleared the so called "Virus" I had and the result was I still CAN'T get a sMall "M"...

Norton Anti virus did report that "Marburg" Virus attached to a series of files called "WEB3LCH.EXE, WEBC3LCH.VL0, WEB3LCH.VL1, and WEBC3LCH.V1R". I suspect this proubably has nothing to do with it, but I a not sure (they were supposedley "Disinfected"). I know there is a file on boot up that does not allow Me to find My sMall "M"...

Now what????

Thanks again gents..!!
Rogue
Junior Member with 22 posts.

04-Feb-2000, 08:58 AM #8
DON'T KNOW IF THIS WILL HELP BUT SEVERAL MONTHS AGO I INSTALLED A NEW PROGRAM AND DID NOT REGISTER IT WHEN PROMPTED. I HAD NO USE OF THE LETTER "R" AT ALL- IT JUST WOULD NOT TYPE (IT CAME UP AS AN X). AS SOON AS I REGISTERED THE PROGRAM THE PROBLEM WENT AWAY.

TO THIS DAY, I AM NOT SURE IF REGISTERING THE PROGRAM FIXED THE KEYBOARD PROBLEM OR NOT.

04-Feb-2000, 11:03 AM #9
Got it!!!

Thanks Nancy, your tip gave me an idea that Larry had already suspected.

Apperantly I was loosing my letter in a program that loaded at boot up (as evidenced by the letter being there when I loaded from a rescue disk). So when Nancy mentioned something about registering the programs. I went back and deleted any recent program (shareware) that loaded up at boot up...and behold I found the culprit. It was a small program called "jet-Monitor" that resides in your taskbar and checks your mail for you without you having to open up Outlook. I removed the program from the boot sequence and voila'! my mmmmmm's returned.

Thanks for all the help guys. Now I got a brand new keyboard for my troubles...

Thanks again

Rogue
Member with 5,223 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Feb-2000, 04:56 PM #10
Thanks for letting us know!

I think I'll archive this, as that program may rear up again and kill someone else's m key.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!