Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Archive: Windows 95/98/Me Archive: Windows 95/98/Me
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

{SOLVED}Programs in Windows 98 can't find fonts

(!)

Member with 51 posts.

03-Jan-2001, 10:59 PM #1
This problem isn't specific to any program, so I think it is originating with a setting in Windows.

I tried to access some programs after restarting Windows (Word Perfect, Juno (E-Mail), and an MPEG player) and all of them had font problems. Juno told me that the Arial font could not be found, Word Perfect olny listed system fonts (no TTF's) and Music Match displayed everything in the Courier font (I think it was Courier, anyway.)

I checked my fonts in the Control Panel and it only lists 5 fonts, all of them .fon. After opening the fonts in the control panel, ALL of my installed fonts showed up my programs, but I still can only see the 5 in the fonts window of the Control Panel.

So unless I open the fonts in the CP every time I boot up or reboot my computer, I will be stuck with those 5 fonts.

I don't know what I did to cause this. I uninstalled some programs earlier today, but none that would cause this, at least I wouldn't imagine they would.

Is there anyway to fix this problem? I appreciate anything that anyone can do to help.

Thanks,

Zach

[This message has been edited by TheHipCat (edited 01-04-2001).]
Member with 51,021 posts.

04-Jan-2001, 01:01 AM #2
Do a file search for the file "shelliconcache". It should be in your windows directory. When you find it, delete it and then reboot. If that doesn't work, check out Troubleshooting TrueType Font Problems
Member with 51 posts.

04-Jan-2001, 12:59 PM #3
I've found the file, but I'm not sure if I should delete it. Not that I don't trust you, but I've always been a tad leery of deleting files in the Wondows directory. Are you sure it's safe to delete it?

Thanks,

Zach
Senior Member with 3,004 posts.

04-Jan-2001, 04:14 PM #4
Yes you can delete it safely. It'll be recreated by Windows on restart.
Member with 51 posts.

05-Jan-2001, 03:22 AM #5
Okay, I tried it and it didn't work. The link that Mulder provided had no helpful info either.

I tried reinstalling some fonts and that didn't work either. I still can't find any fonts in my fonts folder, but they show up in a 'Find' search.

Sigh, any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Zach

05-Jan-2001, 02:00 PM #6
Okay, try setting a different printer as your default printer. If have only one listed, then delete it and reinstall it.
Member with 51 posts.

05-Jan-2001, 02:30 PM #7
Okay, I tried that. I have but one printer, an Epson Stylus Color 440, I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it, but the problem remains. =(

05-Jan-2001, 03:34 PM #8
Well, if its happening in all programs, it sounds to me like a printer problem. Many times fonts won't display properly if the correct printer driver is not installed. Try going to the manufacturer's web site and downloading an updated driver for that printer or install a different printer using Windows update (i.e., even though you don't have the printer, you can install one as long as Windows can pull the drivers from the web, then just delete it afterwords).
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor - Gone but never forgotten with 8,684 posts.

05-Jan-2001, 03:45 PM #9
Try the solutions in this MSKB note
Member with 11,942 posts.

05-Jan-2001, 04:34 PM #10
Also, I would rule out a damaged fonts folder. The easiest way to repair the fonts folder would be to use the Tweakui Fonts Folder Repair option.

Download and install <a href=http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp> Tweakui 2000 </a> from Microsoft. Be sure to read the install instructions. Once it's installed, goto your ControlPanel and click on the Tweak icon. Then click on the Repair tab. Now open the dropdown box and select "Repair Fonts Folder" and click on Ok.

BTW, it's been a while since I've install Tweak, but I seem to remember that you can get an error at the end about "unable to open d:\tweakui.cnt. If you get it just click on OK. Then check your ControlPanel for the Tweakui icon. It still installs fine even with that error.

[This message has been edited by bhesson (edited 01-05-2001).]
Member with 51 posts.

05-Jan-2001, 05:56 PM #11
Groovy baby, yeah! That troubleshooting guide that WhitPhil provided did the trick. I did the fontreg.exe and that seems to have reset everything, I can see my fonts again, programs don't come up in the terrible system fonts, and my stress level has come down. ;-)

Thanks for all your help guys. This was my first visit to this site for tech support and I must say that it was a positive experience. You guys rock!

Thanks again,

Zach
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!