Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Archive: Windows 95/98/Me Archive: Windows 95/98/Me
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

trouble downloading

(!)

Junior Member with 10 posts.

14-Aug-2001, 11:58 PM #1
I am having problems downloading... I am running win.98se...
when i go to download something I get this screen with a small cube located in the upper left courner and I don't get the normal download screen. Sometimes if i right click on the program i want to down load and choose save target to i will be able to download, i will get the proper screen. But it doesn't work on some downloads. My computer works great except for this problem, I sure could use some help.
Please e-mail me at jslj1124@home.com
if you can help
Thanks
John
Senior Member with 4,117 posts.

Experience: Still Learning
15-Aug-2001, 02:54 PM #2
A couple of things you can try, one try lowering your security. Go to tools/internet options then the security tab and lower the settings.

Next go to the advanced tab and put a check or tick in "enable install on demand"
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor - Gone but never forgotten with 8,684 posts.

15-Aug-2001, 07:40 PM #3
Rick:
You do NOT want to select "Install on Demand".

This will allow a web site to do an automatic install without your knowledge. Comet Cursor is famous for sneaking in this way.
With the option UNselected, you will always be asked, if something attempts an install, and then you can accept or refuse.

You should also not need to lower security settings to get a download going. Particularly in this case, where a save target as, seems to work.

John: When you get this "strange" screen, is there a Title in the Window that opens?
And, what else is in this window?

[Edited by WhitPhil on 08-15-2001 at 07:44 PM]

15-Aug-2001, 08:04 PM #4
problems downloading
the page that i see when i try to download has a small cube in the upper left courner. ..in this cube is a small square in the upper left courner a blue triangle in the center bottom and a green circle in the right center. I tried clicking on it and nothing happens. I can x out of the page with no problem
thanks again
john

15-Aug-2001, 08:10 PM #5
That sounds like a trojan or a virus.

Try one of the following sites and check for a virus or trojan.

This site has the latest update for virus and it is a free online program to use.

It is worth a try, also try the trojan clearner. Something isn't right for that box shouldn't be there.

Ad-Ware Checks and removes spyware
http://www.spychecker.com/download.html

MooSoft 30 day evaluation program for trojans
http://www.moosoft.com/features.php

PC Pitstop antivirus program Must have IE Explorer 4.0 will not work with Netscape.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/antivirus/default.asp

PC Cillion
http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

15-Aug-2001, 08:24 PM #6
Angry trouble downloading
Sounded like a good idea but it won't download get that screen. I have nortons system works on my computer and I have run everything i could on it and can't get to the problem

15-Aug-2001, 08:30 PM #7
I know this probably won't work but somehow we have to find what it is.

Ttry this once. Close out all programs except IE Explorer and Explorer and the dialup. Get that box back, don't do anything with it. Press CTRL/ALT/DEL and see what else shows up.

If there is any in there other than the ones you left there high light them and close them out watching to see if and when the box closes.

This might give us a name. With a name we can find it and get rid of it.

15-Aug-2001, 08:30 PM #8
problems downloading
http://www.voiceofthepublic.org/ls/aaw.exe
This what appeared in the address window when i tried to download that spy checker program
Hope that helps

15-Aug-2001, 08:39 PM #9
OK we are going to go into the registry to see if we can find this.

Go to start, run and type in
regedit,
Press ok

The registry window will open, first we will back up the registry.

Back up the Registry:
Go to Start
Run
Type in:
scanreg /backup There is a space between scanreg and the /
Then hit enter

Next we are going to restore the registry back a few day before this started if it hasn't been to long.

Restore the Registry:

Reboot to dos
IF your running W98, type in at the prompt
scanreg /restore There is a space between scanreg and the /
You will then be given a date of the registry that you can use to restore, pick one before this started.

15-Aug-2001, 08:44 PM #10
problem downloading
this has been going on for a couple of weeks now
and i talked to a tech and he told me how to restore it back a few days and when we went there the earliest date was jan of this year, so that caused a problem guess i could restore it to back then if need be please advise
thanks

15-Aug-2001, 08:51 PM #11
No you never want to back it up farther than a couple of days or no farther than the last time you installed a program.

Let's go back to what I suggested before about the CTRL/ALT/DEL with the box open and see if we can get a name and then maybe we can do something that way.

I know of another way to do the registry but I would rather try this first. This is the best of the 2.

15-Aug-2001, 08:58 PM #12
Also go to control panel, internet options and clear history, and delete files, including offline files. This will get rid of the cookies in case that is what is causing this.

Also go to start, find and type in

*,tmp

Click find and delete the files not the folders.

An easy way to delete all of them is once it finds them, highlight one then hold down the CTRL key and while you are doing that press the "A" key. This will highlight all of them.

Now we don't want to delete the folders so now what you do is hold down the CTRL key again and this time take the mouse and click on each "FOLDER" one at a time holding the CTRL key down and that folder will be unselected as you click on it.

After you unselect the folders hit the delete key.

15-Aug-2001, 08:58 PM #13
problem downloading
before i do that let me tell you what happened. I found this problem when i was trying to upgrade my AAhome soft ware. I just went back there and just for the hell of it i tried to download the upgrad for mac users and it will download it?????

15-Aug-2001, 09:03 PM #14
Let's try this, if there wasn't anything in msconfig with the name of the program you were downloading there we will see if it is in the registry.

But first do what I told you before this. We don't want to change the registry if we don't have to.

If it will download that program there is either a cookie or a temp file, probably and installation file that is doing this.

So delete the files and cookies and do the rest of what I suggested and then let me know. IF and only if we will go into the registry but I don't want to cover up the problem, I want to be able to fix it so it can't come back and haunt you later.

15-Aug-2001, 09:14 PM #15
trouble downloading
when i typed *,tmp
I get this message number of files exceed amount allowed refine search
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!