Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Archive:  Windows NT/2000/XP Archive: Windows NT/2000/XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > >

[Resolved] opening new window

(!)

Member with 38 posts.

29-Dec-2002, 06:58 PM #1
Angry opening new window
For some reason, IE6 will not allow me to open a new window in some programs. What will happen is a second window will open up, but it will be transparent showing the window below it. If i click the stop button then "refresh" i get the webpage I was going to. Any advice on what setting as magically decided to start doing this to me?

thanks
Junior Member with 3 posts.

30-Dec-2002, 11:13 AM #2
I had the same problem (I think). Following the instructions in this MS article fixed it for me.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;281679

Still no idea why it happened.

-Dan
Member with 38 posts.

31-Dec-2002, 06:50 PM #3
Angry clear windows
Still no luck. For some reason when I re-install IE6 with Serv. pack 1 it still gives me the same problem. I have used the command stated for the "run" fuction.. but still problems with it.

Why must this be difficult? Computers are only as smart as the humans that build them? Yeah, well mine is a RAIN MAN and I am getting ready to beat it with an umbrella!!
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
31-Dec-2002, 11:11 PM #4
Is the IE6 that you have one that came with the operating system (XP), or was it upgraded?

If it was upgraded, try restoring the oleaut32.dll off your system cd.

Also go to Internet Options > Connections > Settings and try putting a check in "automatically detect settings"
Member with 38 posts.

31-Dec-2002, 11:20 PM #5
invisible windows
The computer came without an OS... I had Win2000 Professional installed.

I have had this problem before, and do not recall how I corrected it.

Currently, Re-installing IE6 with Service pack 1 is either not correcting the problem.

I am also now dealing with a "WDM Video Driver for windows capture driver (Win32) that I cannot remove so that my Webcam will work.

Is it a full moon somewhere??
Member with 7,486 posts.

01-Jan-2003, 12:14 AM #6
It's New Year's Eve. things can only get better from here.

Here's something I copied and pasted a long time ago. Check it out step by step and see if anything helps you.

Quote:
IE6 opens blank (empty) windows
Try disabling *all* other programmes, including virus scanners, to see if there is an improvement. If not, proceed as follows:

You probably have a broken entry in file associations.

Go to my computer, view/folder options/file types (or control panel, folder options depending on your operating system).

Scroll down to the URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocols, click edit twice and make sure the following is in the application used to perform action box:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome

The same applies for URL:Gopher

DDE should be set to: "%1",,-1,0,,,,
Application should say: IExplore
DDE application not running should be blank
Topic should be: WWW_OpenURL

Mike Burgess MVP was kind enough to point out to me the other day that 'open in new window' is dependent on the following files, therefore you should ensure they are the correct version for your system, and correctly registered.

Run the following commands from start/run. Run each line individually. After each run, you should see a short message stating the command was successful. The first command is the one most likely to work.

regsvr32 Urlmon.dll

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll

regsvr32 Shell32.dll (only applicable to Windows ME, Windows 2000 and XP - if using an earlier operating system, run regsvr32 shdoc401.dll)

regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll

Some people have noted that replacing urlmon.dll or oleaut32.dll with the versions that came with their operating system has helped. I would not try this except as a last resort.

Note: If the IE repair tool is available to you (control panel, add/remove programs, highlight IE, select add/remove) - running a repair will often fix the above associations automatically.

Further note:

I thought installing Mozilla 0.9.2 (which, may I say, is damned SLOW to start up) was quite a polite event, especially considering the fact that I didn't allow it to take over any defaults as part of the install.

But still, I discovered that hyperlinks in emails weren't working properly anymore - IE was opening, but just to a blank window. No attempt to access the URL was made.

Somehow or other, WWW_OpenURL disappeared out of 'topic' in the default open action for the URL:Hypertext Transfer protocols and Gopher - nothing else was out of whack - go figure :-/

Some knowledge base articles addressing the blank window problem are:

Browser Window Is Blank After You Install First Aid 98 [Q182038]
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q182038

Current Web Page Is Blank After Opening an Outlook:// URL [Q257136]
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q257136

Also. Do you have a pop up stopper installed? Anything to prevent new windows from opening?
Member with 38 posts.

01-Jan-2003, 02:23 AM #7
THANKS
Running the commands in the order in which you listed below worked !! I know the first one never fixed my "blank" windows problem, but one of the others did the trick.

Much appreciation to you and the others that have assisted me as well as others..

Knowledge is POWER !!!

Happy New Year and stay safe !!

Jkram
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
01-Jan-2003, 02:31 AM #8
Think I'll put this one in the forum archive as it seems to cover all the bases
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!