Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Archived Ideas Archived Ideas
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > > > >

Done! Marking threads "solved" that the OP did not mark "solved"

(!)

Drabdr   (Brad) Drabdr is offline Drabdr has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Community Moderator with 9,952 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Dec-2011, 12:27 PM #1
Marking threads "solved" that the OP did not mark "solved"
A policy change that moderators can mark threads as solved if they clearly are, but the OP doesn't return to say so.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,259 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Dec-2011, 12:56 PM #2
Don't they already do this when they have the time or see that it is solved?
All ones needs to to do is "report" that the thread is solved and most of them will be so marked.
Computer Specs

26-Dec-2011, 01:27 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Don't they already do this when they have the time or see that it is solved?
All ones needs to to do is "report" that the thread is solved and most of them will be so marked.
Thanks for bringing this up. I'm not so sure if that is the case though.

If you look in the site suggestions/comments thread that started all the discussion on this, some of the helpers pointed out that not all threads get marked "solved", even though they are clearly solved. Note the highlight on the word clearly. If the original poster does not reply that it is fixed, or it's unclear if the problems was resolved; it may not be marked.

Say you help someone out on a thread with an issue, it's gets solved by the poster coming back and clearly stating it is fixed, they may not mark the thread solved. Moderators may not have viewed the thread, and so it does not get marked.

However, if attention is brought up (to your point; reporting the thread to be marked solved) then it can be marked, thereby enriching the Google search results.
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,270 posts.

26-Dec-2011, 05:24 PM #4
So "I think this thread has a solution" becomes a valid report text?
Computer Specs

26-Dec-2011, 10:56 PM #5
If the thread follows this pattern:
  1. Here is the problem
  2. Here is/are solutions to the problem
  3. A report back from the original poster "hey, that fixed my problem; The computer works better; etc." , to indicate that there is an accurate Problem/Solution in the thread.

Then yes, the thread needs to be marked "solved" if the poster did not do it when they returned to post about it's success.

Threads meeting those criteria should be reported if they are not marked solved.

That way, the thread shows up as "solved" during a Google search; thus possibly encouraging people to come to our site for the answers, over other places.
TechGuy   (Mike) TechGuy is offline TechGuy has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Administrator with 12,774 posts.

26-Dec-2011, 11:10 PM #6
That certainly makes sense to me.
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs

27-Dec-2011, 02:47 AM #7
But our first response should still be a message to the OP asking them to press that button themselves? Give a man a fish and all that.
Computer Specs

27-Dec-2011, 10:48 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ent View Post
But our first response should still be a message to the OP asking them to press that button themselves? Give a man a fish and all that.
I completely agree.
Trusted Advisor with 3,997 posts.

28-Dec-2011, 07:01 PM #9
Quote:
Yep, that's what I think. And then if some amount of time goes by (maybe 24 hours?) and they haven't returned to mark it solved, report it. That also gives them a chance to come back and say they thought it was solved, but it's not.
Account Disabled with 16,918 posts.

30-Dec-2011, 07:15 PM #10
If a thread appears to be obviously solved ..perhaps a mod could make a post that the problem appears to be solved and is going to mark it as such.

The OP will get an email alert and can...announce differently if need be.

The problem is whats "obvious" and calls for human judgment.
Obvious would have to be obvious and the mod will have to be familiar with that problem to honestly mark it solved

A thread may not actually be solved..he or she may have been asking for help on multiple forums.
And said..."hey it worked"...when they have may actually fixed it by another means

No wonder the computer wouldnt turn on...the power strip was off {good luck on getting them to admit that}
More like...I changed the power supply.

So IMO staff that marks a thread solved would have to be familiar with the problem at hand.
Example
Such as right click and create a new folder
"Thanks...now I know how to make a folder"
The staff member would know that is how you make a new folder..so its obvious
Computer Specs

31-Dec-2011, 03:38 PM #11
Most "obvious" is when they say "great, that was fixed, thank you", and forget to push the wretched button.
Computer Specs

31-Dec-2011, 04:07 PM #12
Quote:
Most "obvious" is when they say "great, that was fixed, thank you", and forget to push the wretched button.

It's so easy to do, but they don't do that.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,068 posts.

Experience: Still Learning....
31-Dec-2011, 04:21 PM #13
I'm not sure if this could be a possible solution, but is it possible to place the "solved" button below, beside "reply" button (at the lower left hand side of the page) or between the "reply" button and the tags area?
I mean a person scrolls down to read, so placing a button near to or in their currently viewing area may help.
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,317 posts.

05-Jan-2012, 02:30 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebreather View Post
I'm not sure if this could be a possible solution, but is it possible to place the "solved" button below, beside "reply" button (at the lower left hand side of the page) or between the "reply" button and the tags area?
I mean a person scrolls down to read, so placing a button near to or in their currently viewing area may help.
I agree.

A button at the top and one at the bottom.

Or perhaps even a small button in each one of the OP's posts? Some people just can't read right...
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
05-Jan-2012, 02:41 PM #15
However this gets decided, it really wastes a lot of valuable time reading a thread, and possibly coming up with strategies, only to find in the last post or 2 of 25 that the problem has already been solved and simply not marked. I do think they should be marked if obviously solved and the poster says so. There shouldn't be any need for the whole process of reporting and so on, but a notification to the OP is a good idea if that can be worked out.

Last edited by Elvandil; 05-Jan-2012 at 10:12 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!