Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Transfer office from old PC to new without disk

(!)

Member with 17 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Aug-2011, 09:45 AM #1
Transfer office from old PC to new without disk
Hello there,

My current office computer is slowly dying, so I'm going to get a fresh one - probably one of the valuve range from scan.co.uk. Anyway, this current computer (a Dell *shudders*) is loaded with MS Office Small Business 2007. This copy of office, I wish to transfer to the new computer when this one is decomissioned. Thing is, I can't find the office disk anywhere (maybe didn't even have one in the first place?), so I'm wondering how I go about installing office on the new system.

I've liberated the CD Key from registry, so that's fine, but how do I actually get the files? Is there any alternative to torrenting a copy of office, and activating it with my legit key?

I was going to ask Microsoft this, but they wanted to charge me 199.99 for the pleasure of an e-mail :S

Many thanks
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,259 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Aug-2011, 10:06 AM #2
IF you have a retail copy and not a OEM that came with your computer you can try and download it from http://www.microsoft.com/office/downloads/

Some people have used this download site for their OEM copy when they had to rebuild their machines, but not for a New machine and trying to MOVE their OEM copy.
Member with 17 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Aug-2011, 10:12 AM #3
:O

What a fantastic link that is! It flashed up a message, after entering the CD key, that it was OEM software and thus probably already on the system - but if it wasn't I should proceed to the download... and it worked

Now, there's no way, while it's installing, it can read the windows CD key and say hoi, this is a different version with a different key and scoff at me? This rig is Vista, and the one replacing it shall be 7.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,259 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Aug-2011, 10:59 AM #4
But, since it is a OEM version, it can NOT be MOVED to another system. It is linked to the Vista machine.

You are going to have to buy a new copy to install it on a NEW Windows 7 machine. When you try this from a different machine, the site and or install will need to have the Key Code again and it will not match the required machine information.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!