Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Auto-fill Word Table via Access Query

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Sep-2011, 02:10 PM #1
Question Auto-fill Word Table via Access Query
I want to auto-fill a Word 2010 Table from a Access 2010 Query. Here is what I mean:

I have created an Access 2010 database file called “MasterTestEquip.accdb” with a “MasterTestEquipList" Query. Using the Word Merge function in Access, I created a 5-column, multi-row Table in Word 2010 with the following Column names:

Description, Manufacturer, Model, Identification #, Cal Due.

I want to be able to enter in the Identification # (e.g., 469-0068-601) and have the row auto-fill in the other information (Description, Manufacturer, Model & Cal Due). I have been trying to get the Mail Merge function to do this but I am stuck. I used “Insert Merge Field” and selected the appropriate name for each column. When I do a Preview, I can click on the right and left arrows and the information in the row steps through each one of my Identification numbers in my recipients list and the corresponding information is correct, but this is not what I want. I need to be able to manually enter in the Identification # and have the additional information auto-fill in. I also noticed that if I perform the above “Insert Merge Field” function in multiple rows that when I use the arrows to scroll through in one row, that all the rows change and show the exact same information. How do I make each row independent of each other and be able to manually type in the Identification # to get the rest of the information to auto-fill for each row/line?

This is a Test Equipment List form that I use in test reports for different testing. It is a pain to constantly have to type in every piece of test equipment used every time a test is performed. Being able to just enter in the ID # and have everything else auto-fill will save me a lot of time and frustration.

Thank you in advance for your help, it is greatly appreciated.
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
14-Sep-2011, 03:00 PM #2
Why not use an Access form to fill the information to dump the data directly into your table?
OBP OBP is offline OBP is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 18,610 posts.

15-Sep-2011, 05:43 AM #3
Rockn, I think this is for Output.
Why not use an Access Report for Test Report?
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

15-Sep-2011, 09:47 AM #4
The reason IS that I am one of a number of Engineers and Techs in a test lab environment and we want a "master" equipment list located on the server. The test report(s) are boiler plates for each type of test and there are in most cases multiple pieces of identical test equipment. The test reports are Word based, so I wanted to create a Access data base so that when anyone needed to populate the test equipment list in a report, all they would need to do is record the ID # of the pieces of test equipment that was used for the test and input that number into the test equipment table in the report and it would pull-in all the other information automatically. I know that it can be done because a previous lab that I worked for has it setup this way. They had an Access *.odb file, a table in a Word template and used a "Query" to populate the test equipment table by typing in the ID# of the equipment. Now this was done in the 2003 version of Access and Word, so I would think it would work in 2010 version. I just don't have any real in-depth experience with "Advanced" features of these programs so I am self-teaching and hoping that I can find someone that can actually help in a productive way.
Computer Specs

15-Sep-2011, 10:03 AM #5
If the data is in the Access Database what you want to do is simple, the part that confuses me is "a table in a Word template".
What is currently stored in the a table in a Word template?
Where are they stored?
How are they stored? ie how are they identified in their Folders etc
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

15-Sep-2011, 01:30 PM #6
Ok, lets try this again. I have an Access database that contains at the moment 391 pieces of test equipment listed in it in 5-columns (C1=Description, C2=Manufacturer, C3=Model, C4=Indentification Number, C5=Cal Due). I have a Word document that has a table in it that has the same 5-columns as listed above. I want to setup the table in the Word document so that I can enter/type-in the "Identification Number" and the information in the other 4-columns will auto-fill in their respective places.

Description | Manufacturer | Model | Indentification Number | Cal due
[auto-fill] [auto-fill] [auto-fill] [Enter ID# manually] [auto-fill]

I want to be able to do this for however many "rows" are needed. If I use 12-pieces of equipment, I want to be able to enter in the ID # for each piece of equipment in each of their respective rows in the table and have it fill in the rest of the information.

To be honest I don't know if I can make it any clearer. This is my goal, now whether or not I reach it depends on the information gathered from knowledgable people, books, internet, whatever. I just get the feeling it is not as hard as I seem to be making it out to be. The "help" information within the programs are very unclear when it comes to what I am trying to accomplish, but I do not intend on giving up as I know it can be done because it has been done before. It may take me a while to get there because I have not used Access much in the past and while I fairly familiar with Word, there are still features that I have yet to use or experience.
Computer Specs

15-Sep-2011, 01:47 PM #7
But why use Word when Access Reports do exactly the same thing?

If you must do it with Word I can probably provide you with VBA code to set the Table values, but I am not sure if I still have it, so it might take a while.
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
15-Sep-2011, 05:58 PM #8
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

16-Sep-2011, 09:11 AM #9
ODB: I wanted to do it this way because this is what the test boilerplate forms are written in and I have no overall control of those documents. I do not remember having to use VBA code before, but then again I didn't create the files at the previous place I worked at that had this setup this way. If you still have and locate the VBA code that would be great. Wish I could find a night school close by to take some classes in MS Office to learn more of the advanced functions in these applications and have someone live to ask them questions.

Rockn: Something along those lines inside a table, but not using a drop down box. I want to be able to enter/type the actual ID # and have it pull the corresponding information from the access database and insert it into the rest of the table row for each item.

I guessing at this point I may have bitten off more than I can chew as it seems to be getting more complicated than I originally anticipated. Thank you for the help so far, I guess I will continue to plug away at it and see what I can come up with.
Computer Specs

16-Sep-2011, 12:15 PM #10
Combos are better than typing because they avoid typing errors which lead to non existent records.
A combo will also "jump to the records as you type in the data.
I will see if I can find the Thread on here that I posted the VBA code on.
Computer Specs

17-Sep-2011, 08:37 AM #11
OK, I found the Thread that I worked on with the Word table it is here.
http://forums.techguy.org/business-a...ex-word-3.html
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

22-Sep-2011, 10:12 PM #12
ODP, thanks for the link. I will look it over as soon as I can next week when I have the time. May take me a while as I am unfamiliar with VBA coding, etc. Will let you know it this is what I need. Either way, thanks for the help!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!