Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Modeless userform in Mac Excel 2011

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Sep-2011, 09:31 PM #1
Modeless userform in Mac Excel 2011
I'm an experienced VB-Windows programmer, trying to get started with Macintosh Excel 2011. I can't make a form modeless. The code is simple--I have a worksheet and a UserForm1 that has nothing in it except a label that says "test". This is the only sub:

Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
MsgBox "before"
UserForm1.Show
MsgBox "After"
Stop
End Sub

The output displays "Before", then launches the UserForm1 window, but never gets to "After" unless I close the UserForm1 window. I'd like to have UserForm1 stay open but allow me to enter values in the worksheet.

I've tried replacing the UserForm1.Show line with everything I can think of:
UserForm1.Show 0
UserForm1.Show vbModeless
UserForm1.Show False

...but nothing changes. I expect I'm missing something simple, and I'd appreciate someone pointing out what it is.

BTW, as far as I can find, Excel 2011 does not have a ShowModal property. But it does seem to know what Modal means--at least it offers "([Modal])" as a choice when I type "UserForm1.Show".

Thanks very much.
Member with 4,694 posts.

15-Sep-2011, 09:55 PM #2
I don't think Modeless forms are supported on the Mac. I have heard of this same issue before years ago with previous versions of Excel. All three lines of code you provided should work without issue on a PC.

Rollin
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

16-Sep-2011, 02:59 PM #3
Thanks. You are probably right that Excel 2011 does not support modeless forms. That would explain the behavior of my system. I have not been able to find that explicitly said in the Excel 2011 help info.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
2011, excel, macintosh, vba

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!