Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Word wont let me click hyperlinks

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Jan-2012, 12:58 PM #1
Word wont let me click hyperlinks
Hey,

So I have had this problem for a while and have just tried to ignore it...but thats not really an option anymore. I know it's a very simple fix, I just dont have a clue how to do it.

I have a Toshiba netbook running windows vista. I have Microsoft Office 2007.

The problem is this. I have a Word document from a professor, or whomever, with hyperlinks. When I do CTRL + click on them I get this error message:
"This operation has been canceled due to ristrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

This is my personal netbook. I use McAfee and know that sometimes it can just be a matter of checking or unchecking an option here. But like I said, I haven't a clue about how to fix it.

Please and thank you for your help!
Computer Specs
Member with 238 posts.

19-Jan-2012, 06:06 PM #2
Have you tried just clicking on the hyperlink without holding down the Ctrl key? If you right-click on the link, what are the offered options? Open the program and click Help. On the Details tab, search for Hyperlinks. Any information there?

Please reply back to this thread.

Rosie
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,590 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Jan-2012, 06:39 PM #3
A very common question in the Microsoft public newsgroups goes something like this:
When clicking on a hyperlink in an e-mail, I get this Message : "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." I get this message every time that I attempt to use the hyperlink. I am the administrator on this stand alone computer. How do I deactivate this feature so that I activate hyperlinks ?
Look here for the fix http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm
Junior Member with 2 posts.

19-Jan-2012, 08:10 PM #4
Hey,

@TulsaRose: That worked just fine! Thank you so much. But I would still like to get it so that I can just click it.

@DaveA: went to that link and followed the instructions (for Firefox) but when I got to the folder, there was no modify option when I right-clicked. Ill admit that I dont know what it means by "value" but I tried right-clicking on the folder itself and the one item that was in the folder and modify wasnt an option. Did I do something wrong?
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,590 posts.

Experience: Beginner
20-Jan-2012, 12:52 PM #5
Go to the link that I posted above,
Scroll down to "Import the Registry Key"

There you will see the word "This" that is blue.
Thn "Right click on the link and choose Save target as,then double click on it to run it."
This will run a registry fix.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!