Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Excel help for absolute novice

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
16-Apr-2012, 05:04 PM #1
Excel help for absolute novice
Hey there everyone!

First time poster, long time searcher-for-info-on-these-thinger!

Here it is, I have an Excel spreadsheet, it has a list of jobs on it that are then filtered into areas that get put on to three separate worksheets for three separate people to view on the same workbook.

What I really, really need is some way to have an email sent to a person the day before a job fails

like if there's a formulae showing today's date on the sheet, and if a job is due to fail the next day, it emails the person who's area it's in.

Like I said I have very little expertise on this, I barely managed to create a Macro to separate the the jobs on to the specific workheets so I would really love a step by step (small steps) guide.

I think I've seen the phrase VBA banded about, I know nothing about it and knowing my luck I really need it to do this.

I've attached the spreadsheet I use.

Let me try to make it clearer...

Each worksheet has someone who ideally would be emailed a message letting them know the job number when colun N's date is a day before and ideally a day after today's date (I understand that I can add formulae =today() for that to appear) As there are three people using the spreadsheet it needs to be only their specific jobs that are for their area emailed to the,

Also it should only be emailed once to them, not every day or everytime i open the sheet.

Thank you all so much for even reading my mad rant, please feel free to email me at

< removed email - etaf moderator >

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Sample.xlsx (166.8 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by etaf; 16-Apr-2012 at 05:25 PM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,605 posts.

16-Apr-2012, 05:25 PM #2
we do not operate "by email" here - only via posts - also having email in your post will increase the chances of you getting spam
so i have removed
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

16-Apr-2012, 05:35 PM #3
Thank you...

I appeciate that.

If you do know anyone who can help a poor girl with her spreadsheet please, please let me know!

Last edited by quinndows; 16-Apr-2012 at 05:58 PM..
Computer Specs

16-Apr-2012, 05:41 PM #4
I'm sure someone will help - there's quite a few posts here for emailing from a spreadsheet - so its possible to do, but you may need to be patient and wait a while for a excel guru to reply here

in the meantime - you may want to have a search at some of the email solutions already provided here
Member with 455 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Apr-2012, 05:10 AM #5
If its only few persons, won't it be easier to do it manually by sorting and emailing from outlook?
You can use conditional formatting to help u identify the rows.
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

18-Apr-2012, 06:07 AM #6
Basically, there are too many jobs coming in and out to have someone manually emailing each job that falls past th date of that day...

Also, this is possibly something that I want to roll out accross the entire company if I can get it to automatically send the emails from excel.

I just don't know a great deal about it so if it can be done i'd absolutely love a step by step guide.

thanks!
Member with 455 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Apr-2012, 09:49 PM #7
http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm

If u need help with data hiding, let me know.
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

19-Apr-2012, 04:16 AM #8
I hate to sound like a typical dumb blonde... But I need help with everything!

If someone can PM me on how to do this, I would be sooo grateful!
Computer Specs

19-Apr-2012, 08:20 AM #9
Hi quinndows welcome to TSG
Quote:
If someone can PM me on how to do this, I would be sooo grateful
FYI we do not allow or provide support via PMs (or email, messaging etc) - all help needs to be confined to these forums only for safety of members

please have a look at out rules and guidance page here
http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

Quote:
Keep Support in the Forums
For the safety of our members, we must require that all technical support take place in the forums. This offers the opportunity for peer-review with the hope that bad advice can be corrected. Having problems and solutions publicly visible may also help someone in the future who is experiencing the same issue. As a result, we do not allow assistance to be given via email or Private Message. Due to the risks involved, we also do not allow live remote control of computers by our volunteers. If you're looking for live support, there are other (paid) sites that provide that service.
Computer Specs
Member with 50 posts.

26-Apr-2012, 09:42 AM #10
hello,

has your issue been resolved yet.

I have downloaded sample.xls.

Will begin looking at a possible solution after you posting that your issue is still outstanding.

cplmckenzie
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
excel 2007, macro help, outlook, visual basic

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!