Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Excel cut function not erasing data once pasted

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Apr-2012, 07:05 AM #1
Excel cut function not erasing data once pasted
Excel no longer deletes data once it has been cut and pasted. It also no longer allows copying non-adjacent cells; it will let me highlight non adjacent cells and select copy, but when you paste it includes all "inbetween" cells. Also, I notice that now when I copy or cut data, I dont see the line change to the ants like it normally does. Any ideas?
Trusted Advisor with 3,997 posts.

19-Apr-2012, 10:27 AM #2
Hi busybee, welcome to TSG.

What version of Excel are you using? It sounds like you have two instances of Excel open and are trying to cut and paste from one to the other. Have you opened Excel more than once? If so, close all open instances and then reopen Excel and open your first workbook. Then open the second from within Excel rather than opening Excel again. Hope that helps.
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

19-Apr-2012, 10:49 AM #3
Thanks WendyM,

It is Excel 2007. I tried closing all open files, opened a new workbook and did a test C&P of non adjacent cells into the same workbook and it still copies all of the inbetween cells. I'm trying to think did I do anything recently that would have caused it but can't come up with anything. I only realised it when I went to copy a cell and the border didn't change like it normally does when it's been copied...

19-Apr-2012, 10:53 AM #4
Thanks for the info. Do you by any chance have Skype Click-to-Call? I know it seems like a random question, but that has also caused this behavior in Excel.
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

19-Apr-2012, 10:56 AM #5
I have Skype; is "Click to Call" where a phone number automatically becomes a hyperlink to make the call on Skype?

19-Apr-2012, 11:12 AM #6
I don't use Skype, but it looks like yes. It's a plug-in that it looks like you install separately from Skype, but it sounds like it might install automatically from some updates, particularly in Google Chrome.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-sky...-call/windows/

Can you try uninstalling it from the Control Panel (just click to call, not Skype itself) to see if that makes a difference in Excel? If you like it and want it you can download it again. I'm just curious whether that's causing the problem.
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

19-Apr-2012, 11:25 AM #7
ok. I removed click to call but no change, will be heading home from work soon so the computer will be restarted in the morning maybe that will help. thanks for your help!

19-Apr-2012, 11:32 AM #8
No problem, let us know how it behaves in the morning and we'll go from there.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
copy & paste, cut, excel

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!