Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Building an access database

(!)

Member with 69 posts.

23-Apr-2012, 10:01 PM #1
Unhappy Building an access database
Hi all,
I've just started a new job and my manager want me to build a access program. I have never built a program before or have any great knowledge in doing so, but I have work on access before (never took a class). I have started the program but I think I did things backward. I created the table just how I want it, the form is working fine expect one field I can't get to work how I want. The problem is first when the information is inputted into form some of the combo box and bond box with formula do not generate in table, second I can't get them to show on queries either, last am clues less on what to do with report and queries.
(background information)
This database have to pull information from an original excel sheet. Where working with retirees who is still receiving a discount for insurance. discount is base on year of service, I will need to generate a report for the insurance company and also to our finance company so they can know what to pay to what department. (I'm lost) Any help will be greatly appreciated been working on this for 3 weeks.
OBP OBP is offline OBP is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 18,619 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 06:12 AM #2
blessnhappy, welcome to the Forum.
I have a question, why does "This database have to pull information from an original excel sheet."?

To get back to the Design, it sounds like you have set up combo boxes in the table, probably with value lists, this can be confusing and is not maintainable other than by an Access Programmer.
Ideally you should have a table for each combo with a Form for adding new or editing the old records.
Queries are one of the most important parts of an Access database as they collect, sort and filter the data that you have entered in to the tables.
You metion Reports, but you do not say what is to be done with them, are they to be emailed or printed for posting?
Member with 69 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 08:50 AM #3
Thank you for responding,

The original excel sheet information need to be imported into the access database when it is done.

I have different tables for each combo box but only one form. So I need to have a different form for each table?
The Report is to print and/or email for posting.
Computer Specs

24-Apr-2012, 10:17 AM #4
You should have simple forms for maintaining the Combo tables.
I used a tabbed Mainform, the first tab for the data entry and the other tabs for the Combo tables.
Member with 69 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 11:09 AM #5
Okay, I've created the tabs and separated them respectively.
Should that have fix things regarding information reflecting into the table?
Computer Specs

24-Apr-2012, 11:14 AM #6
I need to know what the tables are showing, normally a table will store the KeyID for a combo selection even though the combo is showing the actual description of the selection.
Member with 69 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 11:29 AM #7
Showing in table;
SSN, EmpID, last name, first name, middle name, DOB, DOH, separation date, complete address, Medicare info, family/single selection, plan effected date and cancelation date.
Problem;
Department name field is empty, Department ID field is showing the name in stead of the id number. Plan column has the Premium rate, Premium column is empty. It does not show the discount %, employer dollar amount of percent paid, retiree amount owed after discount, split% (which is number of year of service* 2%) I can’t get that to work in the forms either. Percent and total of employer contribution.
Computer Specs

24-Apr-2012, 11:33 AM #8
Ok, lets start with the Department data, where do you think the Department name get it's data and where does the Department ID get it's data?
Is the combo in the field in table or just on the form?
Member with 69 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 11:56 AM #9
The Department Name and Department Id should get the data from the query called Selected Departments; the combo box was set up in form.
Computer Specs

24-Apr-2012, 12:02 PM #10
OK, but you should not have both fields in the Main table, only the DepartmentID, the name can be picked up from the Selected Departments.
I assume that the Selected Departments table has all the departments and their ID's in it?
Member with 69 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 01:10 PM #11
Yes the Selected Departments table has all the department and their ID's in it, so take out the name coulmn in the main table?
Computer Specs

24-Apr-2012, 01:13 PM #12
Yes it is not needed, the Department ID field should be the bound control for the Department Combo using the Department ID as the first column in the combo.
Member with 69 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 01:31 PM #13
In order to remove the column it asks me to delete the relationship, which I did but it still asking to delete the relationship. Department ID is the first column in the combo.
Computer Specs

24-Apr-2012, 01:35 PM #14
What relationship did it have set up? ie what field to what field.
Is the Department also a Lookup field in the main table?
Member with 69 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 01:39 PM #15
Ok that did the the trick Department Name is no longer in the main table.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!