Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

simple shared on-line database?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-May-2012, 01:03 PM #1
simple shared on-line database?
Just checking out Evernote after hearing Leo talk about it. Looks great, I can access it on my company-issued Blackberry, but I'm actually looking for something more like a flat-file database program with more traditional fields and records, but the same web-based access model as Evernote.

I need to track my work inventory of hardware in the back of my company truck, and would like to be able to edit it in the field, via the blackberry, as well as at my desktop at home. The company laptop I pack around is locked down by the corporate IT group - no installing anything on it.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,553 posts.

01-May-2012, 01:25 PM #2
Quote:
I need to track my work inventory of hardware in the back of my company truck,
wouldn't the company want you to do that anyway, when i was a field engineer many many years ago - they did - and in those days it was a paper system we had to use and had an audit every 6 months
- do they allow office to run on the PC at all - like excel ?
Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

01-May-2012, 02:17 PM #3
Yes, thats still how we do it. And yes, we have Excel on the laptop, but not Access. We use Excel as a database program. Get dozens of XLS per week. Dumb, but the sales team are more familiar with Excel, and the learning curve for Access, both in-house and out in the field, would paralyse us for months. Corporate uses an international SAP system which makes even Excel databases seem nimble by comarison. I've used Access personally for years, and a dozen others.

Just trying to buck the system I guess. I have all my stuff barcoded, something corporate has only TALKED about for 20 years. My dream system would allow me to read the barcode label when I use the item, (or let me at least key it in), allow me to enter the specifics- System #, date, Service Order#, etc. and record this usage, decrementing this item from my stock. This is all to assist with the, "where the H#!! did that item go to" question at my scheduled inventory check.

I had a system pretty well implemented some years back using Filemaker Developer 7.0. Then my laptop died, and when it came back to me, minus my database and locked down even tighter than before.

The BlackBerry, so far, is pretty wide open, and I'm considering upgrading my own phone to an android device. There are some android database apps but they are pretty lame and designed for different uses.

Again, EverNote sounded great til I saw it was more of a Note taking app, like One Note. Have that on the laptop too, but just can't get interested in it. I need a flat-file style database, like the old File Express, updated to a cloud-based model, and available to the BlackBerry.
I know, I'm dreaming.
OBP OBP is offline OBP is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 18,610 posts.

02-May-2012, 05:41 AM #4
Can the Blackberry run Access in a cut down form?
Member with 1 posts.

04-May-2012, 10:13 AM #5
We just started using this asset tracking system and so far it's made me pretty happy. :/ As happy as an asset tracking system can make someone I guess... lol
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
cloud, database, evernote, free

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!