Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Business Applications Business Applications
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Problem sending messages with attachments in Outlook 6

(!)

Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Beginner
23-May-2012, 07:55 AM #1
Problem sending messages with attachments in Outlook 6
I have been using Outlook Express 6 for many years without a problem but would like your advice on this problem which has started in the last two days.

When i send a message, the message appears to be sending but i get a dialog box telling me that it has not been sent due to the following error - but with no error listed.

The message then sits in the outbox and seems sometimes to block any further messages that i send from being sent - i use 3 different email accounts and i think that the 'seems sometimes' is because messages sent on another account do go.

Even more mysteriously, the message has in fact been sent - so the poor recipient gets multiple versions every time my outlook does a send and receive before i delete the message from the outbox.

The message does not appear in my sent items folder.

The only thing i can think of that i have done in the last day or two is that i moved a lot of old messages in my inbox to a new folder and compressed that new folder to 'archive' those old messages. Could this have triggered this fault?

What can i do to resolve it as it is very annoying? Thank you for any suggestions

Last edited by Bunnagippaun; 23-May-2012 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: error now happening with all messages, not just those with attachments!
Member with 5 posts.

23-May-2012, 07:59 AM #2
Sorry it is Outloook Express 6 ... not Outlook 6! (Well i did say i was a beginner ...)
Member with 101 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-May-2012, 10:04 AM #3
Maybe your non-archived folders are getting too big and OE6 canīt move the messages from the 'outbox' container to the 'sent' container.

The compression process on the NEW folder probably had nothing to do it... actually since the new container is filled with consecutive data it probably had no effect at all.

On the other hand your OLD original container now has a lot of wasted blanked space left by the messages you moved out of it , so this one should benefit from a compression process (it might take a while). "Compressing" it might actually solve the original problem if it is related to the containerīs size.

By the way, the compression process does not work as a zip compression, think of it more like a defragmentation of the container and then chopping the empty space at the end of the file.

HTH

PS: If you need more assistance you should probably report if your drives are using FAT32 or NTFS filesystems and the size of your mailboxes. Also, I assumed you are using pop3 to download the messages, is that correct?
Member with 5 posts.

23-May-2012, 10:51 AM #4
Thanks hqnet - you are almost certainly right that my containers are too big ... so i decided to first delete a number of large messages from the sent items box and my plan then was to archive a load of older messages. I was also going to compress the non-archived messages/containers.

So i deleted about 25 very large sent messages. Then OE6 stopped responding so i restarted it ... and it has come back with completely empty sent item box ... tried to import the messages but to no avail. Checked the deleted item box and the ones i had deleted are there but not the others.

Problem sending messages is still there despite now having an empty sent items box.

Yes using pop3 ... not sure about the drives - think probably NTFS but this is a bit of a guess ... how can i find out?
Member with 101 posts.

23-May-2012, 11:15 AM #5
You can find how your drives are formatted right clicking them and looking into their Properties.

Perhaps the containers are so full that the program failed... it shouldnīt have happened. but I wish I told you to do a backup first...

If you havenīt, before anything else, do a copy of the containers now ("C:\Documents and settings\<you-username>\Local configuration\Program data\identities\<some-very-large-string>\Microsoft\Outlook Express\").

If it got damaged the folder may appear empty but still have your messages inside. It would get trickier now, as you might have to repair the container... I donīt know any utility I could recommend for that
Member with 5 posts.

23-May-2012, 11:25 AM #6
Yes they are NTFS drives and the relevant hard disc is less than 25% used.

I did make a back up as soon as the problem started happening - and it is from that back up that i am trying to import the sent messages but it is not working. The back up is on my husband's PC just in case ....

My husband thinks the only solution will be to uninstall and reinstall OE6 .... but i am a bit worried that i might lose all my inbox too! Do you think that might work or make the problem worse?
Member with 101 posts.

23-May-2012, 12:34 PM #7
ok,

itīs great news that you have made a backup, well done!

I donīt think reinstalling OE 6 will be possible, it is bundled with Intenet explorer 6 and thus you won't be able to run that installer if you have upgraded IE to v7 or 8, wich you most likely have.

Does your backup give access to the individual files?
If so, I would restore the 'Sent' container, purge that a bit and compress. Going through that routine you might free some space without getting the file damaged. Instead of deleting the biggest messages I would start by deleteing a handful of medium-sized ones.

If you move the current Sent container out of its original location and place the restored version there, OE should reconnect that container. You will loose the copies of the messages you sent between your backup and today.
Member with 5 posts.

24-May-2012, 11:32 AM #8
Fingers crossed the problem is sorted. Undoubtedly the underlying problem was that i had let the sent items box get too big.

Hubbie followed the advice on the Microsoft support 'Outlook Express basic repair kit' and nothing worked except creating a new identity. He then imported the back up into that identity and (after a few attempts at other things that did not work) transferred old sent items into a number of annual sub-folders, temporarily located under inbox.

Then compacted all folders and it worked! We've now moved the sub-folders back under sent items and it is still working.

So lesson learnt - do housekeeping, deleting unnecessary messages - am better at that with the inbox that the sent items box - and compact all folders fairly often.

Would add for benefit of others, that you do also need a back up of address book and to import that back too.

Will delete old identity in a few days if it seems to still be fixed! Thanks for your help.
Member with 101 posts.

24-May-2012, 12:51 PM #9
Glad to know it is solved.

A minor comment: nothing prevent you from keeping those sub-folders separated, That reduces the risk of containers inadvertedly getting too big.
Actually I use an annual division myself

Cheers.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
attachment, error, outlook 6, sent message

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!