Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

I need access help :(

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
06-Jun-2012, 03:08 PM #1
I need access help :(
Hello. I am brand new to Access, and although I have been watching videos and reading many forums, I can't seem to find the information I need to complete my project.

My company manufactures and ships clothing. We get many orders everyday, and so far we had a program made for us that stored all our products, and could bring them up by typing in short number. We could then print it out, and see what needed to be made. That program has been failing recently so we are switching to access.

I have created a table for all our customers, and a table for our products.
I need to be able to take information from both of those tables and somehow put together a order I can print out.

I greatly appreciate the help,

-PatricaWolf.
Computer Specs
Member with 20 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Jun-2012, 04:26 PM #2
Right now, it seems like you have all the information you need for customers and products, but no link between the two. Do you have any tables that contain the orders you have? All this is going to be driven by relationships. Once you have the infrastructure built, pulling the information out should be easy. I'm barely an intermediate user, so I don't want to guide you wrong, but I can tell you how I would do this. Hopefully someone else will answer with a better answer than me though.

Product Table
- Product ID
- Product Description
- Other pertinent information

Customer Table

- Customer ID
- Name, etc

Orders Table

- Order ID
- Customer ID
- Date requested
- Date to be picked/made
- Date fulfilled
- Anything else about the order overall

OrderProd
- Order ID
- Product ID
- Quantity Ordered
- Line Number (In my world, the line order is important for receiving. PO lines are numbered)
- Discounts? Other?

Find the "Relationships" button and create the following relationships. (I think it's the 4th tab)
- Orders.Customer_ID to Customer.Customer_ID, many to one
- OrderProd.Order_ID to Orders.Order_ID, many to one
- OrderProd.Product_ID to Product.Product_ID

Once you have your table built, you can pull your list two ways. There are forms, and there are queries. I know queries better and they're pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Just add all of the tables, and then pick out the fields you want. You probably want the product description, catalog #, the quantity from OrderProd, maybe the customer name from the customer table. Don't worry about joins - they're done for you.

To make the days order, you need to filter those items above. I would suggest the totals button (on the ribbon) too. You'll see a row on the fields selected portion of the screen with "Group By". For the quantity, change that to sum. Then, add the date or whatever criteria you use to determine the day's orders. For example, Date to be picked/made = '6/6/2012' (the = '6/6/2012' goes in the empty rows at the bottom of the section for that field). Change the "Group By" to "Where". Now, run your query! Voila! However, if it's by date, you'll have to change it everyday. I think there is a way to make it always today, but I'm not sure how. There's also a way to make a box pop up and ask you for information, but I forgot that. So hopefully someone else can help where this failed. I hope this helps!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
access 07, buisness, microsoft, office

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!